Topic: Recorder 3 and 64-bit Windows

Recorder 3 WILL NOT RUN on a 64-bit Windows operating system. AREV.EXE is 16-bit software so there is no way round this!

What you can do is use software like Virtual Box to run a virtual machine (VM) with a 32-bit version of Windows installed and then run Recorder 3 on the VM.

My experience:

- I have Virtual Box running on Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit.
- I have VMs running 32-bit version of Windows XP SP3 hosted on this system. 
- Recorder 3 (and Recorder 2002) runs fine on these VMs.

Re: Recorder 3 and 64-bit Windows

DOSBox usually suffices for my needs with Recorder 3.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Hi Charlie

When using DosBox do you use any commands apart from 'mount' (to mount a drive containing the Recorder files)?  Or do you just mount the drive and then run the Recorder.bat file?

Cheers
Andy

Andy Foy
Systems Manager
Greenspace Information for Greater London (GiGL) CIC
www.gigl.org.uk

Basically, yes. I use a Dosbox conf file to autorun everything:

# This is the configurationfile for DOSBox 0.73.
# Lines starting with a # are commentlines.
# They are used to (briefly) document the effect of each option.

[autoexec]
mount d: .
d:
cd Recorder
cd bats
rec
Charlie Barnes
Information Officer

When I try to run Recorder it stops with an error message "Your path for temporary files is invalid.  Please check environment settings".  Any thoughts please?

Thanks

That normally means that Recorder 3 was installed onto a different drive than the one specified in the Dosbox conf (I've never installed Recorder 3 on Dosbox, just used a pre-existing installation - I assume you're doing the same?). I.e. Recorder is looking for a temporary file path that doesn't exist.

The original installations I use were installed on the D:\ hence why my Dosbox conf file mounts the Recorder 3 installation on D:\ drive. Changing d: to e.g. c: (or whatever drive Recorder was installed on) should fix it. If you don't know which drive it was installed on then you should be able to get a clue from the INI files in the AREV folder.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer