Re: V6.10.4 Release Dates

Hi everyone

An update on where we are with the 6.10.4 release...

In terms of the upgrade, there isn't much more testing to do and provided we don't come across any major problems, the upgrade will be released next week (week commencing 21st of May), hopefully by mid-week.

The release of the full install CD's unfortunately has had to be delayed - this is to give ourselves sufficient time to build and test the new CD's, and to allow the Natural History Mueseum to finish updating the dictionary. The knock-on affect of the slight delay in releasing the upgrade also means that the new estimated release dates for the CD's also has to take into account some staff annual leave.

The estimated date of release for the 6.10.4 CD's is therefore now 29th June.

I sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Many thanks and best wishes,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
Biodiversity Information Assistant
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Hi

Unfortunately the full installation (network and standalone) CD's for version 6.10 are still not ready for release.

The estimated release date for the CD's is now Tuesday 10th July.

I just wanted to assure everyone that we are doing all we can to the get the CD's ready and will release them as soon as possible.

I'm really sorry for any inconvenience caused and will keep you updated on the situation.

Best wishes,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Hi, following a recent telephone conversation with Sally Rankin, I have to ask...

Will V6.10.4 have an add-in to do imports from Recorder 3 to Recorder 6?

Louise Bacon
Data Officer
Cambridgeshire & Peterborough Biological Records Centre

No it doesn't. A large part of a Recorder 3 to Recorder 6 transfer is in tidying and massaging the dataset (Recorder 3 has a habit of generating invalid data and generally making a bit of a mess of things). This requires human intervention and so I don't think there would ever be a truly reliable, automated, transfer tool.

Charles Roper
Digital Development Manager | Field Studies Council
http://www.field-studies-council.org | https://twitter.com/charlesroper | https://twitter.com/fsc_digital

HI Charles - is there then a way of taking a Rceorder 3 export and then being able to import to Recorder 6, in the same way that you can take a recorder 3 export and then use an add-in in recorder2002?

Louise

Hi

There was a previous addin that did this for R2002 (not sure how successful it was) and Stuart has revised this for the new Recorder 6 CD's.

I've tested that this installs ok, and I believe Stuart has tested that it runs ok (he's not in the office this week so I can't double check at the moment).

The basic description Stuart has written for it is as follows: "Part of the facility to transfer data from Recorder 3 to the later versions. Facilities in Recorder 3 provide a means of dumping the data it contains into a set of text files. This import filter for Recorder 2002/6 loads these files into Recorder."

I assume that it deals with 'messy' data in the same way as the R2002 addin did.

We plan to make any revised addins available to existing users after the release of the 6.10 CD's.

Best wishes,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

The add-in to import Recorder 3 data into Recorder 2002 works well PROVIDED users do all the tidying of the Recorder 3 data, as specified in the accompanying documentation, and more, before exporting the data from Recorder 3. Being an old system many oddities and corruptions seem to have crept into most datasets and sorting many of these out is something of a black art that is not well documented due to the variety of problems that can be present. As with Recorder 2002 to Recorder 6 data transfers, if a transfer does not transfer all data, users need to go back to the original system, find and correct the problems, and do the transfer again. I have done many Recorder 3 data transfers in conjunction with Mike Weideli, so if anyone has problems with them I would be happy to quote for assisting them.

Sarah, would you be able to give us an idea of when the add-in to import Recorder 3 data into Recorder 6 will be available? I am hoping to use it for a data transfer soon.

Sally Rankin, JNCC Recorder Approved Expert
E-mail: s.rankin@btinternet.com
Telephone: 01491 578633
Mobile: 07941 207687

Hi Sally

All being well should be available as soon as the V6.10 CD's are ready (very soon).

Best wishes,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

That's great news. I've got quite a large R3 to R6 transfer I need to do, so I'm looking forward to testing it out.

Charles Roper
http://www.field-studies-council.org | https://twitter.com/charlesroper | https://twitter.com/fsc_digital

Update on release of full installation V6.10 CD's

Unfortunately it is unlikely that these will be ready by Tuesday (10th July). We are hoping to have them ready by the end of the week.

Although we have finished testing the CD, outstanding work includes;

- Final amendments to installation guides
- Release notes
- NBN exchange format export addin - development not yet completed
- Delete Survey addin - needs some revision
- Maximum species abundance XML report - needs some revision.

As always we will keep you updated on our progress and make the CD's available as soon as we can.

Thanks again for your patience and support,

best wishes,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Thanks for the update Sarah. Can I just confirm the NBN Exchange format addin is "export" as opposed to import? Export is good. :)

Will 6.10 support imports via this format too, or should that be a future request.

Dave Cope,
Biodiversity Technology Officer,
Biodiversity Information Service for Powys and Brecon Beacons National Park.

Hi Dave

Yes the addin will export data in the NBN exchange format. In terms of it's development though, I've just had an update today that it probably isn't going to ready in time for the 6.10 CD's (as will need some testing too) - but if not we will provide it as soon as it is ready as a download from the Recorder website.

With regards to importing data, are you envisaging downloading data from the gateway and importing it into your copy of Recorder 6?

I've been speaking to a colleague of mine - Andy Brewer (NBN Trust Technical Liasion Officer) who usually advises against this sort of thing, for two reasons:

i) The data you have imported will become 'out of date' relatively quickly
ii) Incorporating this data into your own copy of R6 (particular if it is then edited) can cause lots of problems with data duplication etc.

What would be really useful I guess is for you to be able to import data from the gateway along with a custodian field (so that you can include this data in reports etc. but cannot edit it).

I'll add this as a general request to my list.

In the meantime however, if you don't already publish your data on the gateway and are interested in doing so, please get in contact with Andy (email - a.brewer@nbn.org.uk).

Kind regards,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

13 (edited by davec 11-07-2007 05:44:00)

Sarah Shaw wrote:

Hi Dave

Yes the addin will export data in the NBN exchange format. In terms of it's development though, I've just had an update today that it probably isn't going to ready in time for the 6.10 CD's (as will need some testing too) - but if not we will provide it as soon as it is ready as a download from the Recorder website.

Hi Sarah. It's a bit of sad news that it won't be in the 6.10 release, but as it is an add-in then it's not such a big problem to install later.

With regards to importing data, are you envisaging downloading data from the gateway and importing it into your copy of Recorder 6?

Yes, but if the data does not already exist in Recorder and the data is relvant to LRC reporting then why not? Also, as this is an Exchange format, it seems a bit of a waste to use it just for unidirectional transfers to the gateway. If the format proves robust then might not other recording software use it as an export format? It's very easy to generate programmatically as it is plain text. Therefore being able to import it into Recorder would open up another route for data to flow into the database. I would suggest the problem is keeping imported gateway data cleanly seperated from locally held data.

I've been speaking to a colleague of mine - Andy Brewer (NBN Trust Technical Liasion Officer) who usually advises against this sort of thing, for two reasons:

i) The data you have imported will become 'out of date' relatively quickly
ii) Incorporating this data into your own copy of R6 (particular if it is then edited) can cause lots of problems with data duplication etc.

True, but simply dropping the old data and re-importing the new solves the first point (Providing data seperation is implemented - we have only the delete survey mechanism at the moment). Data duplication will occur given the multiple routes data traverses. Not an impossible problem to solve given the fact the schema is controlled. Even freeform text probabilty matches may work quite well .

What would be really useful I guess is for you to be able to import data from the gateway along with a custodian field (so that you can include this data in reports etc. but cannot edit it).

I'll add this as a general request to my list.

That sounds useful - thanks. Maybe add a flag to stop it from being re-exported to prevent circular references? In the meantime we hope to use the gateway web services to merge records of interest into our reporting system.

In the meantime however, if you don't already publish your data on the gateway and are interested in doing so, please get in contact with Andy (email - a.brewer@nbn.org.uk).

We are waiting for Recorder 6 and the export add-in. ;)

Kind regards,

Dave.

Dave Cope,

Hi Dave

That sounds useful - thanks. Maybe add a flag to stop it from being re-exported to prevent circular references? In the meantime we hope to use the gateway web services to merge records of interest into our reporting system

Thanks - I'll add this suggestion too.

In terms of publishing data on the gateway, I guess I was just saying that in the meantime (until the export addin is finished) there are other methods available, and the NBN can guide you through this process.

Having said that, both R6 and the addin aren't too far off! :)

Best wishes,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

I thought the whole idea of Recorder and the Gateway was that data could flow between the two without the worry of duplication? I thought the Gateway was a cut-down version of the data model used in Recorder (i.e., the NBN Data Model) and therefore is (theoretically) able to use the same mechanisms Recorder uses to prevent duplication and unwanted editing of data. Updating data would be handled in the same way we update data in Recorder: new data are added, changed data are updated, and already existing data (duplicates) are discarded. Is this not technically possible using Gateway held data? The custodian field is only really needed if you need to edit the data, otherwise the data are uneditable by default (in Recorder, at least).

While it's true the NBN Web Services are useful in allowing for NBN held data to be integrated into a local dataset, sometimes actually having the data stored locally is the better option, particularly where performance/bandwidth is is an issue, or extra metadata needs to be added to individual records.

I agree that this issue is another great example of the need for a way of segregating particular sets of data.

Cheers,

Charles

Charles Roper

Hi Charles

As I understand it, the gateway creates it's own unique keys for occurrences, but if say, the data orignally came from a copy of Recorder, the Recorder keys are also kept.

I haven't downloaded much data from the gateway myself (so feel free to correct me on this), but I guess it depends on how the data is downloaded. If the data is an excel sheet minus unique keys (Recorder or otherwise) and imported into Recorder via say the import wizard, the occurrences will be added to the database and given different unique keys according to your own Site ID.  You then have two identical records, with different unique keys.

I'm not sure what mechanism is in place in terms of checking for duplicates when data is uploaded to the gateway though.

If unique keys are included in the download though, as you say, you cannot edit the record in R6, but can update the records by using the import wizard and 'All latest' (when it's fixed :) ) etc.

Best wishes,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Update on progress on V6.10 Installation CD's

Outstanding work:

- Final amendments to installation guides - completed.
- Release notes - completed.
- NBN exchange format export addin - this addin is not going to be included on the CD as requires further testing, but will be made available as a download from the Recorder Software website as soon as it is ready.
- Delete Survey addin - this addin still needs some revision, however it may be that we release the CD's without it and again provide this as a download from the Recorder Software website shortly.
- Maximum species abundance XML report - completed.

We hope to send out copies of the new CD's to the resellers next week, but again, if anything hinders this I will let you know.

Thanks again,

Best wishes,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

charlesr wrote:

I thought the whole idea of Recorder and the Gateway was that data could flow between the two without the worry of duplication? I thought the Gateway was a cut-down version of the data model used in Recorder (i.e., the NBN Data Model) and therefore is (theoretically) able to use the same mechanisms Recorder uses to prevent duplication and unwanted editing of data. Updating data would be handled in the same way we update data in Recorder: new data are added, changed data are updated, and already existing data (duplicates) are discarded. Is this not technically possible using Gateway held data? The custodian field is only really needed if you need to edit the data, otherwise the data are uneditable by default (in Recorder, at least).

While it's true the NBN Web Services are useful in allowing for NBN held data to be integrated into a local dataset, sometimes actually having the data stored locally is the better option, particularly where performance/bandwidth is is an issue, or extra metadata needs to be added to individual records.

I agree that this issue is another great example of the need for a way of segregating particular sets of data.

Cheers,

Charles

Hi Charles,
Just wanted to pick up on this a bit.

The Gateway database is a collation of datasets from many sources including recording packages, spreadsheets and custom databases. We assign our own unique keys to taxon occurrence records within the Gateway database for all records but we also store the original provider key. Provider keys must be unique within a dataset so that they can serve as identifiers. However, there is no checking between datasets - they're treated completely independently within the database.

The format of provider keys can vary widely from running integers to the 16 character fixed width format of Recorder. Only a very small proportion of the data on the Gateway comes from Recorder (most comes from schemes and societies via BRC), which means that only that proportion will have guaranteed globally unique keys. So we would have no chance at all detecting duplicates between datasets based on keys.

You could say that the NBN Gateway database model is a cut down version of the Recorder model but this would be a bit misleading. Yes, we have less tables (what database doesn't!), but the real difference is that the Gateway database is optimised for spatial queries, mapping and reporting to the website. There is no facility to edit individual occurrence records on the Gateway. Data loading is on a per dataset basis. When we update a dataset, the old version is completely deleted from the database before the new version is appended. Our database is as close to the NBN data model as, say, Biobase. It captures the usual concepts (site, species, record, people), shares a few table names for historical reasons and implements the species dictionary but that's about it.

I appreciate it is easier to work with data locally in many circumstances. However, the risk is that these data will be downloaded, edited and then find their way back into 'the system', exacerbating the national problem of duplicates. I'm not a Recorder expert, but it appears to me that a combination of a separate survey and the custodian field is an ideal mechanism for creating read-only copies of Gateway data in Recorder. How this will be implemented hasn't been completely thought out and we would certainly appreciate any ideas you (all) may have.

The appearance of NBN web services adds an interesting twist. I guess the web service/download comparison is analgous to the difference between downloading mp3s and listening to streamed media. I hope that as client tools for the web services develop, it will become transparent to the user whether the data they are analysing are sitting on their own hard disk or an external NBN node. There's lots to do before that and a bit of a cultural shift required before this goal is realised, though.

Andy

Thanks for the explanation, Andy, it clarifies many things that I've been unsure of. Just off the top of my head, one idea might be to have a 'Gateway' custodian which would stop the Recorder-to-Gateway exporter exporting those data.

Charles Roper

20 (edited by davec 18-07-2007 08:12:18)

Hi Andy, interesting post. You mention Gateway keys here;

andyb wrote:

We assign our own unique keys to taxon occurrence records within the Gateway database for all records but we also store the original provider key.

Is there a pattern in your keys that could be used to filter them out from any other data source. e.g. Is there a stable part of the key that could be parsed? That would then give us the opportunity to strip them from any exports and also to highlight gateway data in back end reporting systems.

Only a very small proportion of the data on the Gateway comes from Recorder (most comes from schemes and societies via BRC), which means that only that proportion will have guaranteed globally unique keys. So we would have no chance at all detecting duplicates between datasets based on keys.

That's an interesting fact and one to bear in mind when collating data to be submitted to the gateway. It suggests that the source of the export to the gateway is responsible for checking if new data has been sent to the gateway previously.

I'm not a Recorder expert, but it appears to me that a combination of a separate survey and the custodian field is an ideal mechanism for creating read-only copies of Gateway data in Recorder. How this will be implemented hasn't been completely thought out and we would certainly appreciate any ideas you (all) may have.

Separate surveys for gateway data are a good idea. Personally I would like to see the Recorder model extended to cope with a "dataset" that does not come under the definition of a survey. I guess the term could be seen as interchangeable.   Given the gateway's own unique keys, would they not be a good candidate to check to make sure that data is not re-exported back out.

Regards.

Dave Cope,

Separate surveys for gateway data are a good idea. Personally I would like to see the Recorder model extended to cope with a "dataset" that does not come under the definition of a survey. I guess the term could be seen as interchangeable.   Given the gateway's own unique keys, would they not be a good candidate to check to make sure that data is not re-exported back out.

Yes the need for a dataset level "above" surveys is very real. We had to import data from Kent in order to complete a cross-border project and it now it sits there intermingled with our own data. If we were to import data from the Gateway, we'd also want to segregate that out.

Charles Roper

We had Charles' suggestion of a top level category ("dataset") as a Feature Request last year - http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=76
The discussion seems to have got a bit complex and possibly away from the original idea and I don't think it actually ended up with any progress but I still think it would be a good idea if it can be done.

Gordon

Gordon Barker
Biological Survey Data Manager
National Trust