Re: Entries via recording card duplicated on save

Hello all...

Was wondering if someone could help - Maybe I'm just doing something really silly. After entering data on a card and selecting save, I get two entries appearing in the observation window instead of one. Both are identical, and attempting to delete one (after a couple of error reports), causes the demise of the other. Curiously, this doesn't occur when the data forms a new event, only when the data is considered part of an existing even.

Any ideas? I'm on v6.9.3.102.

Thanks in advance,

Geoff

/
/
/

Hi Geoff

Is it possible to post more details on this so I can help? For example, can you confirm you are using a recording card or the 'Enter a species record' screen? What species are you trying to add etc.

If you are using a recording card, is it possible to send me a copy of the one you are using.

I'm on annual leave after today for 2 weeks, but will try to find time to look into it when I get back if your problem hasn't been resolved.

Many thanks,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
Biodiversity Information Assistant
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Hello Sarah,

Thanks for offering to help. Since posting, I've discovered that the issue isn't as bad as first seemed, and may be a glitch on my machine. The duplicate entries still appear immediately after saving - However, if the observation window is then closed and re-opened, they mysteriously disappear, leaving all as it should be. I can still send you the recording card to see if you can replicate the behaviour, but as I said, it's not really that big of a deal to me now.

All the best,

Geoff
Irish Squirrel Survey 2007

Hi Geoff

It does sound like a system specific rather than a generic problem - I haven't experienced anything similar during my testing here, and don't think I've heard of others users with this problem.

Having said that, if it happens every time you use the card it will only take me a few minutes to check on my machine here.

If possible, can you email me the card? Send to Sarah.Shaw@jncc.gov.uk.

I give it a quick try and let you know how I get on.

Best wishes,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Hi Geoff

Many thanks for sending me the card. I can confirm (quick test only) that I don't get the same problems with additonal occurrences being displayed in the hierarchy.

However, I do get a message when opening the recording card along the lines of...

"One or more taxa could not be added to the record card. This is either because several taxa share the same preferred name or because the checklist is not installed."

Not sure if you get this message as well and whether this is linked to the problem - however I think it's fair to say the problem doesn't appear to be caused by a bug in Recorder.

Other users may be able to advise on the above message if you get this in your system.

Best wishes,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Hi again Sarah - That message is probably as a result of couple of extra fake taxon entries I created for the purposes of our survey, like 'Unsure of species' and 'Follow up this report', thereby allowing some returns to be flagged on the map. It's a bit of a fudge I know, but it does the job.

Thanks again for all your help!