Re: Spreadsheet import of lichen data

I'm trying to import a list of lichen records from Excel. All goes well until the import tool tries to match species names to the FUNGI & LICHEN taxon dictionary. I then get the message "There are more than one possible match (sic) for the following species" - which is all 200 species! I've checked a few of these species in the dictionary and can only find one match for each. What is going on? I don't want to have to manually match 200 species.

Thanks

Alan

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth

Hi Alan

Can you give me an example of one of the species where the import wizard is reporting multiple matches?

Many thanks,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
Biodiversity Information Assistant
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Hi Sarah

Thanks for getting back.

Acrocordia conoidea

Acrocordia gemmata

are the  first two on the list.

I've just looked at this again and realise I have more than 200 species - some do get matched, but 200 don't.

Cheers

Alan

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth

Hi Alan

This looks to be a problem with this list in the dictionary. We can fix this, but I don't think there is an instant solution available.

How urgently do you need to add this data to Recorder?

Best wishes,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Hi Sarah

It's not urgent.

I have heard that Brian Copppins/British Lichen Society are working on a new list just for lichens (i.e. without the non-lichenised fungi). I was wondering if this was because this problem with the existing list is already known about. Are you aware of this project?

Regards

Alan

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth

Hi Alan

I don't think these changes are in response to problems with the FUNGI and LICHEN list.

The problem you have encountered is related to multiple versions of the same list being used in the background (of Recorder), rather a problem with the entries themselves.

The British Lichen society are producing a list of their own which they want to use - British Isles list of lichens and lichenicolous fungi (or something along those lines), but as far as I am aware this wasn't because of problems with the existing list.

Kind regards,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Continuing this thread...

Sarah Shaw wrote:

This looks to be a problem with this list in the dictionary. We can fix this, but I don't think there is an instant solution available.

Hi Sarah,

Is this likely to be fixed in the next dictionary update please? If so any dates on when this next update will be, the word document does not really cover dictionary updates which I understood would become easier and more regular? Having got round to looking to import our lichen records after having the associated species problem fixed in the last excellent upgrade it is a shame to still have to be waiting on another problem.

Many thanks

Brian

Brian Miller
(Conservation Officer (Buckinghamshire), BBOWT)

Hi Brian

Yes we will fix this problem in the next update.

I am on annual leave next week (coincides with Dorset Software developing the second beta copy of V6.10) and my priority when I get back is to test and release this as an upgrade, and then build, test and release the full standalone and network installation CD's.

As a minimum this will take me 5 weeks, but we will begin work on the next dictionary update after then (in early May).

Our progress on this has been slowed so far this year by existing dictionary problems (hence the development of the species dictionary synchroniser tool), but updates will become more regular.

I'll endeavour to post updates on this under the announcements section.

Kind regards,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Sarah,

Thanks for the update.

Brian

Brian Miller
(Conservation Officer (Buckinghamshire), BBOWT)

Hi

Unfortunately we are not going to be able to provide a fix for this in the next dictionary update - on closer inspection this would involve us having to delete the old version of the BMS list, and repoint any records using this list to the new version of the same list (or an alternative list). We want to avoid doing this sort of thing as much as possible - as it means users lose information on which list (and which version of a list) the original record was made against.

Instead, we need to review the software - to see if we can get the import wizard in R6 to correctly deal with this situation. We plan to do this before the next development phase.

Sorry we can't provide a solution sooner.

Best wishes,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
JNCC