Re: Map Grid Web Service Down?

Hello,

I am wondering if the Grid Map web service is down at the moment? Our application that is using this is getting a 500 internal server error at the line: net.searchnbn.webservices.service.GatewaySoapBindingStub.getGridMap(GatewaySoapBindingStub.java:879).

I've also tried to view the example as well on the NBN website and that is not showing either?

It seems to me it might have been down for a few weeks. Evry time I have checked my application lately it has not been retrieving a map. It would be useful to know what is happening.

Alan

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth

Hi,
there was a problem yesterday, which has been resolved now.  Sorry about that.  I'm not aware of it being down for several weeks though.  Is your application working now?
Jon

Hi Jonathan,

It seemed to be working fine this morning but now the services seems to be down again. Our application and the examples pages are not working.

Cheers,
Paul.

Mine's down at 20.15 Apr 18

Alan

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth

Hi,
yes, there is some wonkiness in there.  I'm taking a look.  FYI yesterday afternoon was a fornightly data replication - this meant the web services were down for a couple of hours - you can check this by retrieving the message from the soap fault which says something like:
'The NBN Web services are unavailable (2pm, 18th April 2007).  New datasets are currently being loaded.  We expect to resume normal service by 5pm'.  They were resumed at 6:15pm, so the 20:15 problem was not related to this :(
Also, just to let you know, we have a major piece of work to scale up the hardware and software that support the webservices - we have bought the new servers and software and will be setting it up during May and June for a July release.  We are planning that this new setup will not experience downtime when new datasets are loaded.
All the best, Jon

My test application (based on the PHP example) seems to be permanently down (I'm only monitoring it every few days but it has always been down) . I've changed nothing at my end. Has something significant changed in the programming at the server end in the last couple of months?

Cheers

Alan

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth

Hi Alan,

sorry to hear about your problems.  No, there haven't been any changes to the grid map web service.  Perhaps you could try looking at this page first (http://212.219.37.104/NBNWebServices/examples/ws-harlequinGridmap.jsp?tvk=NHMSYS0000712592) which uses the grid map web service.  If that is working OK, then try your example.  If your example doesn't work then at least we'll know where to start looking.

I'm not a php programmer myself (apart from having written a couple of simple clients onto our web services), but I could take a look if you like - assuming it turns out that the problem is occurring at your end and not ours.

Jon

9 (edited by DanLear 04-05-2007 08:12:23)

Hi,

I've just checked the PHP example (on the MarLIN Web site) and the script was hitting the maximum execution time (which defaults to 30 seconds) the web services may be a little slow at responding so you need to up your max time either in php.ini or in the individual php page (with set_time_limit(seconds);).

Cheers
Dan

Hi Dan

I checked my applcation again last night and this was exactly the problem - it was timing out.  Only seems to be a problem with the first request in a session - subsequent ones come back much more quickly. I've now adjusted max time and it's OK.

Cheers

Alan

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth

Hi

Seems that there are problems with the web services today (Sunday 17th June 2007). I tried the suggestion ...

Perhaps you could try looking at this page first (http://212.219.37.104/NBNWebServices/ex … 0000712592) which uses the grid map web service.

... but that isn't working. This seems to be affecting not only the Map Grid Web Service but other aspects of the web services as well. I had hope that there was going to be some sort of notifcation if the system was not working. This is an extremely useful resource but reliability seems to be a problem. Perhaps we need some discussion on backup systems (mirroring?)

Cheers

Nick

(ePlanning Project Manager) Aberdeenshire Council

There was some discussion of mirroring the Gateway http://www.nbn.org.uk/downloads/files/P … inutes.doc - not sure if this was implemented (probably does not apply to the web services)? Some feedback on this subject would be great

(ePlanning Project Manager) Aberdeenshire Council