Re: Search bug when inputting species list

When we input a species list using a card we add additional species using the search box at the bottom of the screen. We put in part of the name and press return. However instead of search the dictionary, which happens in Recorder 2002, it just searches the species list on the card.

For instance we wanted to added Copper Beech. We put Fagus in the box, pressed return and it jumped to Fagus sylvatica in the card. If there's no similar species name it jumps to something in the species list which has a similar run of letters somewhere in the name. Today I checked this bug with a fully updated version at BBOWT and it's still there. Thus the only option is to press the magnifying glass to search for the species.

Graham Hawker
Thames Valley Environmental Records Centre

Hi Graham

Not sure if this change (from Recorder 2002 - Recorder 6) was intentional or not, as this is not clear from the technical documentation I have.

John van Breda from Dorset Software or one of the resellers may be able to confirm this.

In the meantime however, there are two quick ways in which you can browse taxon names from the 'Add Species' field in this screen. You can either:

i) Type in the first part of the name, e.g. the genus Pipistrellus followed by * and ENTER or RETURN. This will display the 'Find Species' dialog box.

Or

ii) Rather than clicking on the search button (magnifying glass) with the mouse, you can type in the part of the name, press the tab key once and then ENTER or RETURN. This will bring up the Taxon Dictionary Browser screen.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
Biodiversity Information Assistant
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
Biodiversity Information Assistant
JNCC

Solution 1 is where the bug I'm describing is. The add species box does not display the find species box when you put in part of the name and press return. It just looks within the species already listed in the card.

Graham Hawker

Solution 2 is the same as pressing the magnifying glass, which is the option we tried to avoid by using Solution 1 which was working in Recorder 2002.

Graham Hawker

The way this works in Recorder 6 is that if the characters you type have a unique match with something in the list on the card, then that species is ticked. If there are more than one match, or no matches, then the Find dialog is displayed. You can force the Find dialog to display as Sarah suggests by typing * after the characters you are searching on.

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

John and Sarah - thanks - i should have read Sarahs reply much more carefully.

Graham Hawker