Re: Problem with taxon determination vague dates on import

It would not surprise me if this issue has come up before, but I can't find it.

I have an NBN (XML) Export from the GB Threatened Bryophyte Database, with data for just Wales. On import the Wizard reports invalid items which all seem to be related to taxon determinations which have vague dates (e.g. 1983) whilst the corresponding sample has a precise date (e.g. 31/08/1983). So the error is "The Determination date cannot come before the sample date". I assume this is because, in the example, 1983 is stored as 1/1/1983.

Can anyone suggest the most efficient way to fix this? I could manually find the offending taxon determination keys in the XML, but that would be laborious and would also put me out of sync with the source database. I then thought of sending Nick Hodgetts (who runs the TBDB) a list of the keys and asking him to amend the source data. There is a problem with this though in that the Go To Key tool does not appear to support Taxon determination keys. (I might send the corresponding Taxon Occurrence keys but in the Import Wizard>Invalid Items tree the right-hand half of the keys  is obscured and there is no way to drag the border of the box to widen it and view the full keys - which is very frustrating).

Any suggestions appreciated.

Alan

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth

Alan,

Whenever data is imported into Recorder the system creates a temporary database, copies all the data to be imported into it and validates it. It then produces the analysis details where it reports on the duplicate or invalid items. If you cancel the import at this stage no data will have been added to your system unless you are importing data via the wizard and have made new entries.

To investigate invalid items you can query the temporary database which will contain tables in the same format as in the Recorder database. Where it is stored will depend on the configuration of Windows on your system but on my laptop it is in C:\Documents and Settings\Sally Rankin\Local Settings\Temp\NBN Import. One temporary database is created for each import but they are all deleted next time you open Recorder. You could use the temporary database to produce a list of the offending taxon occurrence keys to send to Nick Hodgetts, although you say the taxon occurrence keys are partially obscured in your system, which is not the case in my system. 

My guess is that the problem has arisen due to the Recorder 3 to Recorder 2002 data transfer because in Recorder 3 a determination has just a Year of determination for the date even when the record has a more specific date.

Sally Rankin, JNCC Recorder Approved Expert
E-mail: s.rankin@btinternet.com
Telephone: 01491 578633
Mobile: 07941 207687

Hi Sally

Many thanks for this. I also discovered after I posted that Nick could find the offending items by going to Data Entry>Display> Unckecked Records, untick the "Unckecked box" and tick the "Invalid" box.

The problem with the keys being obscured in the Import Wizard on my system is probably due to my display settings.

All the best.

Alan

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth

4 (edited by Alan Hale 20-04-2007 14:33:03)

I said:

The problem with the keys being obscured in the Import Wizard on my system is probably due to my display settings.

However, I've now tried every possible setting and still cannot see the invalid taxon occurrence keys. It is frustrating because you can widen the left-hand pane in the Import Wizard for "duplicatate items" but not for "Invalid Items". It would be nice if this could be fixed sometime.

Sally - I canot find a folder with the temporary import database on my system. Do teh databases have a consistent naming pattern?

Alan

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth

Hi Alan,

If you have tried this import a number of times, then remember that the temporary database is created (and in 90% of cases overwritten ) each time. So simply doing a search for this temporary database will not work. What is highly likely to exist instead are the individual tables generated by the process. Sally's suggestion of the default Windows Temp folder is generally the default place to find these in the form of SQL files for each table.

Without knowing about your setup, all i can suggest in addition is that they will be on the machine you use to oversee the import, and unlikely on the server. Try doing a search based on time stamps?

Cheers fer now, Rob.

Oh & good luck :)

If you can find your Windows templ folder, the temporary database will be in a subfolder called NBN Import beneath there. For example, mine is in C:\Documents and Settings\johnvanbreda\Local Settings\Temp\NBN Import. They are cleaned out each time you start Recorder though.

You might notice that when you try to find this folder using Windows Explorer, that the Local Settings folder is missing. This is because its treated by the operating system as a hidden folder. In Explorer, go to Tools\Options, then select the View tab and check the option "Show hidden files and folders" to ensure it is displayed.

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Yes, you are right John - the folder was hidden. Thanks a lot.

Alan

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth

Hi Alan

Just a quick note to let you know I have documented the problem with not being able to resize the box and view the keys for invalid items at the analysis stage of the import wizard. This will be put forward to be fixed in a future version.

Kind regards,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
Biodiversity Information Assistant
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
Biodiversity Information Assistant
JNCC