Re: Addressing NBN Gateway and web services performance

The number of datasets, records and sites held on the NBN Gateway, as well as amount of use of the NBN Gateway and web services has steadily increased every year and has now reached a point when reduction in performance may occur at busy periods. This has recently been increasingly noticed by a number of users of the NBN Gateway and web services, especially when using the new interactive mapping tool.

Work has been going on over the past year to address this issue so that the NBN Gateway and web services can handle increasing amounts of data and use without reduction in performance. Release of a new version of the NBN Gateway, planned for this October, will introduce changes to address these performance issues.

In addition to improvement to the underlying technology that runs the NBN Gateway and web services, these changes will also implement the outcome of the Data Access Control review. Provision of a more flexible access system will provide a significant contribution to addressing the performance issues currently seen when using the NBN Gateway and web services.

Until the planned October release of this new version of the NBN Gateway, users may continue to experience problems using the NBN Gateway and web services, especially during busy periods, evenings and weekends.

Best wishes

Graham French
NBN Technical Liaison Officer

2 (edited by SteveGoddard 19-12-2012 16:47:44)

Hi Graham - is the upgrade complete yet? Where can I get a copy of the technical notes for the new SOAP web services?

Thanks,
Steve

=====================================================
Steve Goddard - IT Officer
Biodiversity Information Service for Powys & Brecon Beacons National Park
T: 01874 610881 - E: steve[at]b-i-s.org - W: www.b-i-s.org

Hi Steve,

In case you haven't seen Graham's post, all the current information on the NBN Gateway upgrade can be found here: http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=4310

I'm afraid that I can't help with the technical notes for SOAP web services, but I will try and find out.

Regards,
Mandy