1 (edited by Andrea Sforzi 29-08-2012 13:45:51)

Topic: photos copyrights and photo sharing

Hello,
I've recently received the inquiry of a photographer wishing to collaborate to our project,
who lamented that the photos are downloadable by anyone and do not have any particular restriction for their use. I explained that the Indicia philosophy is inspired to open source concepts, but this explanation didn't persuade him completely.
Have you ever faced this problem? Do you think that will be possible to add a feature that, in the process of resizing of the image, overimpress a logo of the project and/or the content of the caption, in order to respond to these kind of request?
Another suggestion was to write somewhere in the site of the project that the pictures cannot be used without permission of the author (or of the project manager). In case of legal problems, this short sentence could be used in favour of the photographer.
I personally don't like at all this approach, but in Italy there are many people doing photographs in nature that would greately contribute to our project, and finding a solution in this direction would be quite an important task.

Mny thanks,

Andrea

Re: photos copyrights and photo sharing

Hi Andrea
The first obvious solution would be to add a copyright message to the footer of every page, for example.

It would be possible to add a watermark to the images that are uploaded to the warehouse, e.g. we could super-impose a copyright message to the bottom of every photo, but I think it would not be possible or certainly not easy to make this message dynamically include the name of the person who recorded it - it might have to be a more general message such as 'This image's copyright is held by the author'.

What would you suggest doing about the small thumbnail images - should they be watermarked in some way?

Best wishes

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Re: photos copyrights and photo sharing

Dear John, adding a watermark to the images that are uploaded to the warehouse would be just great. The name of the person who recorded it is far less important. The best solution would be a customable message (I always have the problem of writing in Italian).
The eventual possibility of adding a project logo will turn it in a perfect solution.

Andrea