Re: Species Dictionary Upgrades Z and 10 now available

Species dictionary upgrades Z and 10 are now available for download from http://jncc.defra.gov.uk/page-4615 . These upgrades implement the work of the Natural History Museum in reviewing and updating the data over the months up until April. We will negotiate making more recent changes available as soon as possible. Please use version 4 of the dictionary upgrade kit to run these upgrades. It was released in November last year. Version 3 didn’t apply all upgrades in certain circumstances. Note that Z is a large upgrade so it will take time to run. On my standalone installation Z and 10 took 16 minutes.

Please remember to re-build the indexes after running the upgrades, as specified alongside the download or in the Recorder 6 help.

Sally Rankin, JNCC Recorder Approved Expert
E-mail: s.rankin@btinternet.com
Telephone: 01491 578633
Mobile: 07941 207687

Has anyone else done this successfully yet?

I had hoped that the upgraded intallation toolkit would make this process less painful, not more.

OK so here is an account of my experiences:

Having backed up the db (thankfully), I set it running. Initially it would not let me do the upgrade on my trusted login (although the option is there, I have database owner permissions and I have successfully used this login many times in the past - I gather this is a change from the previous installer). So I obtained the SA login and the installation now begins.

There are two progress bars visible, neither of which indicate any progress, although the title of the lower bar does change as items are written to different tables in the db. I left it running for at least 20 minutes and then returned to an unhandled error notification. The gist of which was as follows:

exception class   : EDBUpgraderError
exception message : Error occurred running script 00000010.sql. The error is described as: The conversion of char data type to smalldatetime data type resulted in an out-of-range smalldatetime value.

I clicked on Continue application and now I see a single progress bar, showing that the process is somewhere just past midway (with 14 grey blocks showing in the bar). After ten minutes more there was no change (still 14 blocks). So I stopped the installer. Recorder now reports that 0000000Z is the latest upgrade installed.

I restored from the backup and tried again, with exactly the same result, same error caused at about the same time, same progress bar still showing 14 blocks.

Given that there has been an error in the process, is there any point in me waiting any longer?

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer
Wiltshire & Swindon Biological Records Centre

Our installation upgraded fine without errors - although it took more like half an hour (progress bars didn't indicate any progress).

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

4 (edited by RobLarge 11-07-2012 10:46:59)

I have now quit the installer a second time and since the error was caused in 00000010.sql I assume that Z has been updated correctly.

I then ran the 10 script manually using management studio. This time I get essentially the same error message:

Msg 296, Level 16, State 3, Line 1
The conversion of char data type to smalldatetime data type resulted in an out-of-range smalldatetime value.
The statement has been terminated.

(0 row(s) affected)

This message is repeated 20 times, once for each of the twenty UPDATE statements at the top of the script? All the subsequent delete statements seem to have been executed successfully.

This makes sense since these twenty statements have a datetime value in them, which is clearly not being converted correctly on our system. The fact that Charlie's upgrade went through without errors suggests to me that this problem might (as in the past) be caused because we are using SQLServer 2000, which has slightly different syntax.

I have now restored back to dictionary Y and am awaiting further instruction.

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

5 (edited by RobLarge 11-07-2012 16:34:31)

Ha, fixed that problem myself!

It was, as I surmised a syntax problem. I edited the script so that wherever it said

Changed_date = '29/06/2012 19:54:52'

I replaced it with

Changed_date = '2012-06-29 19:54:52'

And the script ran normally.

Interestingly though, none of those twenty update statements had any effect on our database because no data existed which satisfied the where clauses. So the upgrade was halted by an error in executing instructions which had no effect.

I look forward to an explanation for this...

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

Thank you for pointing out the problem. I have changed the download file and this will be updated in the next few days.  I have also altered the sofware which generates  the scripts so that this will not happen in future.  We will also check the upgrades on an SQL Server 2000 system in the future.

The deletes are Taxon_List_Items which have been deleted. It is no longer policy to do this and the deletions are there to prevent errors with some systems which didn't run the change scripts correctly in the past.

Mike Weideli

Hi, I've run the dictionary upgrades on both standalone (home/W7-64bit) and network (NMRS/Server 2003) without error, although it did take some time as Sally suggested.

Les Evans-Hill
Senior Data Officer, National Moth Recording Scheme

Thanks Mike

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

When I run these upgrades with Dictionary Upgrade V3 I get a message saying 'No dictionary upgrades were required'. The Dictionary Version setting shown in About Recorder is still 'Y', though.

When I run Dictionary Upgrade V4, the program crashes with 'Invalid Pointer Operation'.

I've tried re-downloading both the program and files Z and 10.

I've got 6.17.1. running on SSE2005 on XP.

Any ideas what's wrong?

I don't know what is causing this. Can you make sure that 0000000Z.zip and 00000010.sql  are in the scripts folder. Then  copy 10 somewhere safe  and see if 0000000Z,zip will run on its own.

Mike Weideli

The same happens with v3; v4 no longer gives the error, but it exits without doing anything - I've checked in the database for the presence of one of the new Taxon_Keys

Attached is an upgrade file which does nothing, but should run and change the dictionary upgrade number  in the settings table. Remove Z and 10 to somewhere safe and put the attached  Z in the scripts folder instead. IIt is just designed to establish whether it is the contents of the upgrade or the upgrade application which is giving the problem. It is probably best just to stick with 4  for the moment.

Post's attachments

0000000Z.sql 178 b, 1 downloads since 2012-08-27 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Mike Weideli

Thanks Mike, that gives an Access Violation error with V4; should I try with V3? (I've got the error report)