1 (edited by DaveSlade 20-02-2007 10:45:20)

Re: Unwanted Counts

We've just noticed an unfortunate default behaviour that affects 60,000 records on our database. The record cards that several of our staff have used for data entry purposes have included a 'Count' of some kind in order to capture data where a specific number of taxa has been recorded. It is generally the 'Abundance of Present (Count)' column that has been used in this manner.
What we did not realise was that this automatically enters a count of 1 (with 'None' as the qualifier) for every record where a specific count is not entered. How do other users get around this, or are we the only ones to have been caught out by this behaviour?

Dave

Dave Slade
Senior IT & Records Officer,
15 Talbot Road, Talbot Green, Pontyclun, CF72 8AD
www.sewbrec.org.uk, www.sewbrecord.org.uk

Hi Dave

I'm not sure if this was raised by a user or if it was something I came across inadvertently in V6.9.3 but it is specific to the recording card as far as I am aware, and should be fixed in the next version.

Don't know if other users have a way of getting around this at present?

Kind regards,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
Biodiversity Information Assistant
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
Biodiversity Information Assistant
JNCC

Hi Dave, unfortunately, this behaviour, though irritating, is present by default. However, on the plus side, once ye know about it the best immediate step is to make you data -entry system more robust by being specific regarding abundances.

As to fixing it, it's fairly simple to run an access query, although I'd recommend checking thoroughly the species, date etc of the data you wish to change before running this en-masse.

Hope this is some consolation,

Cheers now, Rob

Thanks Sarah & Rob,

I had feared as such, and am just kicking myself for only noticing out after two years data entry - and in fact it was one of my colleagues that spotted it. I can see that some fairly simple querying will do the job of removing all of the offending measeurements, but will have to be very careful not to remove legitimate ones...

Best Wishes,
Dave

Dave Slade
Senior IT & Records Officer,
15 Talbot Road, Talbot Green, Pontyclun, CF72 8AD
www.sewbrec.org.uk, www.sewbrecord.org.uk