Re: Vice county boundaries

Hi

I have just purchased a copy of Dandy's booklet and maps about vice-counties (Ray Society publ 146) and seek advice from other recorders.

When I started to use R2002 (before reading Dandy) I included in the Location information that places were in VC Flintshire, even if in the 'enclaves' of Marford or Overton (east of the River Dee). I now read that Dandy recommended that such enclaves should be subsumed in any surrounding county (ie my Flintshire enclaves would be counted as Denbighshire).

Now that we have better maps, GPS, etc, what is current thinking? Should enclaves still be included in their surrounding counties or treated as part of their own VC?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks in anticipation, Ian

Re: Vice county boundaries

Hi

This is a sad do... I answer my own query! For those who may have an interest in this subject, the answer seems to be, that enclaves should be included in their surrounding counties.

I have decided to go this way following a coversation with David Ballance (see his book 'Birds in Counties', 2000 + 'First Supplement' (2002) in which he reinforces the practice of subsuming the enclaves.

Thankfully, the enclaves were not large and I did not have too many locations to reclassify....

All the best, Ian