Re: RODIS (RECORD Online Data Input System)

Hello

Calling all Guinea Pigs! If anyone is willing to have a look at our online data entry system and put it through some rigorous testing, RECORD will be at the NBN conference in just over a weeks time for people's feedback, comments and for a general chat! RODIS will be on show at the conference and all the RECORD staff will be there, so come over and meet us!

For more information and to take a look at Rodis go to:
www.record-lrc.co.uk and click on the big RODIS logo.

Hope to see everybody there next week!

Thanks

Hannah

Hannah
RECORD IT Assistant

Hi Hannah,

I've just had a chance to try Rodis (spurred on in no small part by Eric at the ALERC conference telling me how talented the IT staff at rECOrd are :)). First thing that struck me that I think would be really useful is a sandbox mode which would be a mode I could switch into to enter 'junk' data in order to just play around with, safe in the knowledge that it'll never get used for anything real. At present I'm a bit afraid to enter anything in case it gets into the live system!

Cheers,
Charles

Charles Roper
Digital Development Manager | Field Studies Council
http://www.field-studies-council.org | https://twitter.com/charlesroper | https://twitter.com/fsc_digital

3 (edited by stevemcbill 06-12-2008 22:40:33)

Charles

A 'sandbox' mode by any other name is quite simple to achieve with what is currently available.

When you enter RODIS set-up a 'New File' in the Recording Folder and name it Test or any name with Test in the name - you decide what you want to call it. Then 'Load' that file into the main data entry area/mode and begin to key your data.

This file will remain in the RODIS files area BUT will not be passed forward for inclusion within the main database UNTIL YOU 'Submit' the file.

As a consequence you can test out the RODIS functions to your hearts content safe in the knowledge that the data will never be accidentally submitted and entered into the live database as 'Live' data.

Once you have finished all your testing (and that could be days, weeks or months into the future) then go back into the Recording Folder, highlight your Test file, and click the 'Remove File' button. Your file and its test data will be deleted from the system.

If you are still concerned about the data entering the live system - say you 'accidentally' clicked the 'Submit' rather than the 'Remove File' button then there are other protections which come into play. The File Name and the WebNo. (a number allocated to the file by the RODIS system) is added to each row of the  data (i.e. each record) so that it is always traceable back to the original electronic file. This means that every record now has 'Test' in this field which gives the chance of it being noticed when using the Import Wizard or even running an SQL query against the main database to identify any data which has 'Test' in the relevant field. I am sure it would be possible to build in a process to stop 'Test' files from being submitted or, as you mention, a 'sand-box, area but to be honest with the above facility(ies) I do not think it absolutely necessary. Comments from others who try RODIS out would be gratefully received as rECOrd staff are always looking for ways in which to improve the product and hence the service offered to recorders and partners.

One aspect which may not be immediately obvious, is that recorders can enter their data into RODIS for passing to rECOrd BUT, at any time, can 'Export' that data back to themselves (or to anybody else with an e-mail address - e.g. County recorder; National Recording Scheme Organiser; etc., etc.) in spreadsheet format. This can be done while the file is still 'Active' (i.e. data is still be added to the file) OR even after the file has been 'Submitted' to rECOrd. Thence the exported data (the recorders own records) can be used in their own Recording package (most/all recording packages allow spreadsheet importation of data), or held as pure spreadsheets, for their own use and data analysis.

Hope that helps Charles - we/rECOrd will look forward to your comments and suggestions.

Cheers

Steve     :)

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk
www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/

A website about RODIS:

http://rodis.co.uk/

Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk
www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/

Hi

I thought I should clarify that RODIS is a completely separate development from Indicia and is not built using Indicia. It is an alternative system for online capture of species records developed by rECOrd the local records centre serving the Cheshire region. Other LRCs are taking it up too.

Indicia is different because it allows you to build the online recording system you need. You have options to design a survey to collect any information you require, to present the recording form and results in the way that you want, and to manage the data as you see fit. Indicia is also free and open source.

Jim Bacon
BRC