Re: Importing multiple within-site locations via R2002 import wizard

Hello all

I have just been importing via Recorder 2002 import wizard a lot of records where records within a site have a number of differing locations, with the same name but differing grid references. On importing them, without linking them to defined site in the location hierarchy, they are all imported into the same survey event, with the survey event grid reference converted to 10km-square grid reference. On exporting and then re-importing these into another Recorder database, via the zipped nbndata route, they are all invalid, as the spatial reference of the sample grid references do not fall within the survey event eg. SO74673 not falling within SO77 (even though to my eyes it does)

My question is how do I get them exported to another Recorder database, I am faced with my only option of creating seperate survey events for each one (there are quite a few of them!). Does this happen when importing via Recorder 6 import wizard?

Best wishes

Graham

I assume the SO74673 in your post is a typo as that would be an invalid grid reference (only 5 figs).

Could this be related to the Import Wizard bug in the Announcementsd section? http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=239

Gordon Barker
Biological Survey Data Manager
National Trust

Hello Gordon

Sorry, the grid reference example was a typo and not an invalid grid reference. As I read it the recent import bug refers to importing multiple location grid references within a site, linking with the site details in the location hierarchy. I have found no problems importing these multiple grid references, using the location name fields in the sample and survey event. I keep the location hierarchy seperate within Recorder for key Odonata sites information and do not link sites during record import. I have therefore not encountered the "Import Wizard bug" recently described.

My question is it seems Recorder does not recognise a more accurate sample grid reference (eg 100m-gridsquare) as being within a less accurate survey event grid reference (eg 10km-gridsquare). This has caused me a problem when trying to export them to another Recorder. I was wondering if anyone else has come across this, if it was just me and if anyone knows how to get around it?

Graham

Graham,

I can't remember how the R2002 import went about its business, but the R6 import wizard is tightly integrated with the standard Recorder import facility. Validations happen just as they would when importing, for example, an NBN Access Database (Zipped). So, theoretically, these 'invalid' data would be picked up. However, I agree that they don't seem invalid to my mind.

I've tried entering some test data with an event at TQ81 and a sample at TQ814175. I exported the event and tried re-importing and didn't get warned of an invalid data. Based on your description, I'm not entirely clear on what you're  doing still, but does this answer you question?

Charles

Charles Roper
Digital Development Manager | Field Studies Council
http://www.field-studies-council.org | https://twitter.com/charlesroper | https://twitter.com/fsc_digital

Thanks Charles

I deleted the "invalid records" and re-imported them using the excel import wizard. Doing it this way it all now works OK. I have noticed this problem before on a few occasions but am not sure if I can put my finger on it. It seems that when ever it has happened it is with a number of samples, with differing grid references, across 1km squares, forcing the survey event to be a 10km grid-square. When this happens I just delete the records and re-enter them, only on Friday there where too many to do that manually.

Graham