Re: Missing 100m layer?

I have just been checking the results of the most recent upload of a dataset I manage.  With the "new" interactive map I can no longer see the data mapped at 100m resolution, the dots don't just show.  This problem also seems to occur on all of the other datasets I manage.

I have full admin / view rights for these datasets.

With the "new" interactive map, a right click on a 1km dot shows all the record data for that square - if I right click and look at "Records" I can see all the data listed at full resolution.

Using the "original" interctive maps I can see all of the data mapped as expected down to 100m resolution.

Anyone else having a problem like this?

Matt

Hello Matt

The 100m layer on the "new" interactive mapper is working. The issue I think is that you were seeing the records at public level access and not your level of access on the new interactive mapper. The dataset you refer to is set at 1km public access so when you zoom in beyond that with public access the dots disappear.

When logging in to the NBN Gateway via the top right hand corner of the homepage, this login is only transferred automatically to the new interactive mapper (which sits on other servers) if you have also ticked the "remember me" box which generates a cookie on your machine, that is then used on using the new interactive mapper. If you have not ticked the box (eg using a public computer) then your login details will not be transferred and you will need to login again. (ie the login box will be available at the top left hand corner). This is what I think has happened ie you have logged into the main site and are seeing the records at full resolution access but not logged in on the new interactive mapper and so seeing the records at public 1km resolution

Best wishes

Graham

3 (edited by Matt Smith 05-03-2012 13:44:07)

Hi Graham

I have tried logging into the new interactive mapper either directly (logging in when on the map) or as you suggest above (go to NBN - log in - check "remember me" - look up species - go to map - zoom in).  In both instances the interactive mapper says I am logged in in the small box in the top right.  Neither way will let me view dots at 100m resolution.

From your comments I thought it might be a cookie problem so I logged out, cleared my browser history and cookies and logged back in via the NBN site, checking the "remember me" box and again tried to look at the data. 

I still can't see any dots displayed at the 100m resolution for any of the datasets I manage.  When I get to the level where they should be displayed by default, the layers info box in the bottom right corner of the map show the key for the red 100m dots but nothing appears on the map.  The frustrating thing is it was working a couple of weeks ago, and I can still look at 100m record data if I right click on a 1km square dot. 

I have tried looking at this with two separate computers today, my own PC running Win XP and IE 8 and my laptop running Win 7 and IE9, on neither can I display the 100m dots.  This suggests to me the problem is with my account at the NBN end somewhere.

Matt

Using Win XP and IE8

4 (edited by Matt Smith 06-03-2012 13:47:02)

Have done a bit more testing today with this.

I made a "new user" and gave him "full access" to a dataset where public access is restricted - no 100m layer appears.

I had Chris Raper, who has admin rights to the Tachinid Recording Scheme dataset, log in and look at a Tachinid map.  That dataset is "unrestricted" and set to 100m resolution at the public level.  Neither he nor I could see 100m dots on the map which we can both see with the older interactive map and which should be visible to anyone whether they are logged in or not.

Hi,

I'm just taking a look at this - I'll let you know what I find out.

Jon

Hi Matt,

we've finally got to the bottom of this problem.  It is fixed now and won't happen again.  It only affected mapping of single species (not datasets or designations), and resulted in 100m records not appearing on the single species map.  The problem will have been there since Friday 2nd March when the latest data was replicated onto the Gateway.

Ultimately it was caused by one of the scripts we run when we do our monthly replication of data not being up-to-date with respect to a big piece of work recently conducted - the integration of 'absence' records onto the map.  This script only affected 100m records when doing single species mapping.

So, very sorry about that Matt and thanks very much for highlighting this problem.

Jon

Thanks for sorting this - looked this morning and all my "100m dots" are back.

Mat