Re: NBN mapping offline in the evenings?

Hi

This may have been covered before but I can't seem to find it anyway - apologies if it has.

I display NBN maps on my recording scheme website but I have noticed that in the evenings PHP/SOAP calls to the NBN are timing out after about 10 seconds, as if the system is offline. At first I thought that it was a one-off but I keep coming across this phenomenon and it always seems to be during early/mid evening. During the day the same calls work fine.

Could someone check whether there is a batch routine running at this time? Or is the mapping designed to be offline during this time? If there are some overnight routines running it would be better if they happened after midnight when the mapping isn't being used.

Thanks
Chris R.

Chris Raper, Manager of the UK Species Inventory, Angela Marmont Centre for UK Biodiversity,
Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London, SW7 5BD.  (tel: 020 7942 5894)
also Tachinid Recording Scheme (http://tachinidae.org.uk/)

Hello Chris

The mapping isn't designed to be offline during this time. The NBN Gateway developers are looking into whether any batch routines are being run in the evenings which could affect the performance of the web services. CEH, who host the NBN Gateway run backups in the evening which may be affecting the performance but the timing of these are outside the NBN Gateway developers control. Let us know if the performance of the web services remain an issue in the evenings

Best wishes

Graham
NBN Technical Liaison Officer

Thanks Graham - I will see how it goes. I understand that there can be any number of routing or server issues that can give the same effect but it just seemed odd to me that each time I had had it happen it seemed to be between 6pm and 9pm and if I checked the same pages later in the evening or during the day they worked fine. Anyway, I will report back if I see it happen again :)

Chris Raper, Manager of the UK Species Inventory, Angela Marmont Centre for UK Biodiversity,
Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London, SW7 5BD.  (tel: 020 7942 5894)
also Tachinid Recording Scheme (http://tachinidae.org.uk/)