Re: Recorder upgrade to v 6.17.1 now available

As part of our Recorder 6 support and maintenance contract with JNCC, Mike Weideli, John van Breda and I have completed the upgrade to v6.17.1 but please see the following post re problems. It is now available for download from http://www.jncc.gov.uk/page-4612 . New installation disks will be available shortly. This upgrade contains a series of bug fixes and several minor changes. Please see the release notes on the download page for more details. The Help will be updated as part of the upgrade and the section headed ‘Significant changes in Recorder 6 version 6.17’ on the Home page lists the changes with appropriate links to sections of the Help that provide more information. I hope this will assist users with taking advantage of the new functionality.

The revised Help can be accessed prior to upgrading your system by unzipping the download then extracting Rec20Hlp.chm from the Help folder in UpgradeFiles.zip. Provided your system allows you to open .chm files you will be able open Rec20Hlp.chm and see the Help as it appears in Recorder 6.

I have reproduced the list of significant changes in this release from the Home page below for those who would like to read more about them before downloading, although the formatting and hyperlinks that take you to the full details in the Help have been lost.

The Recorder 6 version 6.17 standalone and network installation DVDs have modifications that enable the system to be installed more easily with the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of SQL Server 2008 Express. Modifications also enable it to be installed with Windows Server 2008.

Recorder 6 version 6.17 is compatible with the Microsoft Windows 7 operating system. It includes changes to accommodate the more rigorous security requirements of Windows 7, and the standalone and network installation DVDs for this version have been modified to make installation with Windows 7 more straight forward. Different elements of the system are stored in more appropriate locations to avoid the permissions problems that arose when all the application files and folders were all placed in C:\Program Files.

The unhandled error handling has been modified. The style of the error messages is similar to those in recent releases but the text files that contain the messages are stored in a different location. Information at the top of a message specifies where they will be saved. Multiple files can be saved with names like Error-73448034840937.txt and the system automatically deletes any over 7 days old. With Windows XP, a typical location is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Recorder 6\Errors; with Windows 7, C:\Users\Public\Documents\Recorder 6\Errors.

When using a Recording card to enter data, the sample comment in the heading of the Recording card is no longer preserved after saving a set of observations as it is more likely to be different for each sample.

The Import Wizard will now import -, *, +, # etc. as abundance data or taxon occurrence data, but not $.

Partial name searching for taxa can now be used to select taxa for inclusion in a Report Wizard report.

When a filter is applied to a window, using the [Show All] button (usually bottom right) to remove the filter makes all data in the window accessible again via the hierarchy, or list, in the left-hand panel, but now, the item that was selected when the [Show All] button was clicked will be highlighted. This applies, for example, when viewing a taxon occurrence (species observation) from the filter result in the report wizard. Also when using the [Related Data] button, the simple filter, the Go To (key) add-in, via Tools - Go To, or when loading a filter.

If the [Get]  button next to a prompt for a spatial reference is used to obtain a spatial reference from the map, then when the pointer tool is used in the map window to select a spatial reference,a small red marker will now appear, temporarily, representing the spatial reference generated, along with a label containing the spatial reference.

Various changes have been implemented to improve the use of Recorder D, the German version of Recorder 6, e.g. further text strings have been internationalised so that more information appears in German and access to the spatial reference control via COM interfaces has been allowed.

As well as the changes above, the section on Upgrading Recorder has been updated in the Help. Also, the section on Dictionary Upgrades has been updated to reflect the bug fixes in the latest version of the dictionary upgrade kit – version 4.

Sally Rankin, JNCC Recorder Approved Expert
E-mail: s.rankin@btinternet.com
Telephone: 01491 578633
Mobile: 07941 207687

Unfortunately some users upgrading to v6.17.1 have experienced problems – see http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?pid=10932#p10932 . Please check the posts there for the solutions provided to date. Also http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=2775 and http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=2776 . The most serious problem is getting ‘Error 5: Access is denied’ when starting recorder 6. John’s explanation is in http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?pid=10997#p10997 . See the following posts for further information. We will let you know via the forum as soon as we have anything further to report.

Sally Rankin, JNCC Recorder Approved Expert
E-mail: s.rankin@btinternet.com
Telephone: 01491 578633
Mobile: 07941 207687

3 (edited by RobLarge 27-01-2012 15:38:35)

Well I got an error while upgrading, similar to some of the others described, but now I cannot locate LastError.txt at all, so I cannot post the error text here, see my other post

http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?pid=11112#p11112

After a little investigation I find that on our networked installation the error messages should be saved to a folder called Errors on our fileserver, however the error which was generated during installation was not saved here.

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer
Wiltshire & Swindon Biological Records Centre

In a standalone installation errors encountered during the upgrade are going into a file called BugReport.txt which is in the same folder as RecorderUpgrade.exe. I need to confirm if this is the same on a network upgrade.

Mike Weideli

Should someone not put a health warning on the download page before more people get caught by these problems?

I had planned to do the upgrade today, so thank goodness for the email digest.

If I have scanned the accounts of the problems correctly, they seem to relate to networks.  Has any problem been reported with stand-alone upgrades on Vista, as mine is?  Should I upgrade or wait?

M.

Thanks Mike

The BugReport.txt was in the upgrade folder for our networked version.

To clarify for anyone in any doubt prior to installing the upgrade. Our problem was caused purely because we use SQL Server 2000. Also it wasn't that difficult to fix. (see my other post for details)

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer
Wiltshire & Swindon Biological Records Centre

I have just attempted to do this upgrade on a standalone running Vista.

Running the upgrade as Administrator, and after logging on with the SQL identity, I get an error:

'The following file could not be upgraded, either because it is in use or you have insufficient privileges.  C ... Addins\Images\GoToKey.bmp.  Please resolve the problem and restart the upgrade.'

R6 remains 6.16.2.241.

Advice welcomed.

M.

Hi
Can you try moving the Addins\Images\GotoKey.bmp file out of that folder to a temporary location then run the upgrade kit again please? It may be that the file was locked by some Windows process somehow.
Regards

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Thanks, John.  That did the trick and a new file was created.

Murdo