Re: Warehouse space on BRC

Dear Indicia Folk

Please can you set up a test warehouse for us to try Indicia to make a start on setting up an Indicia site for our 'Sevenoaks Living Landscape Project' = SOLL.    We were set up by Kent Wildlife Trust and still have close links, but are largely now volunteers.   Two of us attended your Indicia Workshop on 8th December.
Thank you & much appreciate your help.  Anne (SOLL volunteer)

Hi Anne,

I'd be very happy to do this. Using the email link at left, please send me your full name and email address so that I can create your account.

Regards,
Jim Bacon.

Hi Jim

I've emailed you with the details this morning. My name and email details are the same as I've used to register with this forum.

I've installed xampp locally and have Indicia unzipped in my htdocs area and ready to roll - but I believe I will need the warehouse ID and details to input during my Indicia installation.  Looking forward to receiving details.

SOLL-ak

Hi Jim
I seem to have done the following:-
-Installed xampp okay
-downloaded indicia, unzipped and put it all in a sub-folder under htdocs\indica (which makes me think that I should access indicia by typing http://localhost/indicia in browder IE).
- copied the default.settings.php and renamed it settings.php (however I've not done anything about the 'permissions' bit because that seems to come later in the tutorial).
-set up a databse in phpmyadmin and ticked all boxes for a new user to grant access to the database (as per tutorial, I think).

BUT when I type http://localhost/indicia I get internet search window as if website can't be found.  I think this might be a problem with Internet Explorer.  This is because if I type http://localhost/phpmyadmin in the address bar for IE - I get the same search fault window.  HOWEVER, if I use the 'admin' button on xampp control next to the MySql - then the phpmyadmin window opens in IE.

Are you able to help me please?
Thanks
Anne

5 (edited by SOLL-ak 20-12-2011 21:11:31)

If I put http://127.0.0.1 into browser I do get xampp for windows up.  But not if I type http://localhost just get the 'search options' for the web coming up with suggestions. ??  Not sure how I get Indicia window up?

Also forgot to mention - xampp folder and the unzipped indicia folder within htdocs, are all on a partitioned drive as follows D:\xampp

Hi Anne,

Sounds to me like you are missing a bit of configuration that maps the name localhost on to the IP address of 127.0.0.1. I would try http://127.0.0.1/indicia to see if that gets you to your website.

On a Windows system there is a file, typically C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts, which contains a line that associates localhost to this address.

Jim.

Hi Jim
Yippee it works.  However I'd like to fix the 'problem' with the 'host' file.  It currently says:
# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

127.0.0.1       localhost

WHAT SHOULD I CHANGE PLEASE?  As it seems to say 127.0.0.1 localhost already .......???
Thanks
Anne

Wondering if the fact that all the other lines have # symbos has anything to do with it.  So I'll save a copy of 'host' as is and then try adding the # -   laptop can't explode if I add one little # right!?  ;o)
Anne

Oh - just read the file - I shouldn't add a #, as that means the code won't be read ..........  engage brain!

Back to the Indicia Installation
On the drupal/Indicia installation window
When I click on the Instant Indicia and press the save and continue button, I get:-

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:
     Diagnose Connection Problems 

More information

Help please.
Thanks
Anne

11 (edited by rossmacbeath 21-12-2011 13:15:10)

Can you help?

Setting up Instant-indicia and indicia warehouse on a localhost installation using Xampp as indicated.
The system reports it's working I'm having some issues that I don't fully understand at the moment, On a previous install attempt I loaded some modules; Recording(Submit Single Record) and My images

On navigating to the My Images tab, I previously got a view and edit button.(with error message)

Now I only get an error message:

My Images

Array ( [result] => 1 [output] =>
Not Found
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HTTP Error 404. The requested resource is not found.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

On trying to submit a single record I recieve this message:

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'Exception' with message 'Invalid response received from Indicia Warehouse. Array ( [result] => 1 [output] => <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN""http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd"> <HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Not Found</TITLE> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" Content="text/html; charset=us-ascii"></HEAD> <BODY><h2>Not Found</h2> <hr><p>HTTP Error 404. The requested resource is not found.</p> </BODY></HTML> ) ' in C:\xampp\htdocs\smw\sites\all\modules\iform\client_helpers\data_entry_helper.php:2689 Stack trace: #0 C:\xampp\htdocs\smw\sites\all\modules\iform\client_helpers\data_entry_helper.php(2834): data_entry_helper::get_population_data(Array) #1 C:\xampp\htdocs\smw\sites\all\modules\iform\client_helpers\data_entry_helper.php(2787): data_entry_helper::get_list_items_from_options(Array) #2 C:\xampp\htdocs\smw\sites\all\modules\iform\client_helpers\data_entry_helper.php(1268): data_entry_helper::select_or_listbox(Array) #3 C:\xampp\htdocs\smw\sites\all\modules\iform\c in C:\xampp\htdocs\smw\sites\all\modules\iform\client_helpers\data_entry_helper.php on line 2689

Can anyone tell me is this indicates a problem or is it a symtom of the system not being developed yet?

Is there any test information that I could use to 'learn' the system structure with data installed?

Having spoken to a number of people and seen other posts I'm told that it's recommended  to connect to a test warehouse as a starting point for site development, can you advise how to achieve this?

Many Thanks
Ross MacBeath

Hi Ross,

Reading your message I'm not quite able to grasp just how close to success you have got. Sounds like you have Xampp installed and running so that means you have a working web server and MySql database.

Next step is to install PostgreSQL and the warehouse application according to the installation instructions. Have you completed that successfully? If you have done so, you might prefer to continue with that since our test warehouse would simply substitue for yours and you would not have the same ability to access and explore the warehouse database, which might be of interest to you. If you have not got your warehouse running then that would explain your problems.

If it would be preferable to use our warehouse then please use the email link at left to send me your email address and a brief description of your area of interest and I can create an account for you.

Once you have a working warehouse then you can proceed with the installation of Instant Indicia. It sounds as if you may have made quite good progres with this.

The current release of Indicia is perfectly functional and should not give problems once set up correctly. To learn the system we would suggest you follow the tutorial. If you do that, when you are having difficulties, being able to refer to the point in the instructions where they arise will make it easier for us to help.

Best wishes and congratulations on your progress so far.
Jim Bacon.

Hi Jim

Thanks for the speedy response, you know what they say about third time lucky, - well not quite.

Everything done as per tutorial - as far as possible - using Windows vista 64bit machine running 64 bit install before realising we need 32bit. My problems arose from an inconsistency around the use of localhost, windows is hogging port 80 so I used port 8080, some areas require localhost:8080 to be entered others will only accept localhost, i.e. won't work if you put in localhost:8080.

I think the problems stemmed from the connection port in hddocs/indicia.  The settings made during install (3) for a local host installation was the culprit, it's using port 80, I'm using 8080, further exacerbated by the fact that the Geoserver URL probably defaults to 8080.

Using Iform settings I chose 'other' and manually overrode the standard local settings. and set Geoserver to 8081.
Need to look into what knock on effect that will have.  Have you any ideas?

Everything seems to work fine, uploaded some data, lots of CSVs,  customised some screens, just need to work on converting my ASP skills to PHP.

Thanks again

Ross

Hi Ross,
Ah, I see - you'd used the default setup for localhost but are running on a non-default port. The localhost/indicia 'ready made' warehouse configuration are is intended for use when using everything in it's default state, including running on port 80. I'll try and make that clearer on the config screen.
As far as I am aware, running on a non-default port should not cause any problems now that you're configured correctly, though I must admit I have not tried non-default port setups.
You should find the jump from ASP to PHP is not too bad - it is not the most elegant of languages, but easy to understand and there are lots of powerful libraries available.
Best wishes

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Hi Ross

By judging your system which is Vista use IIS 7.0 . On IIS 7.0 you can download the PHP manager through this link http://phpmanager.codeplex.com/ . Which allow you configure any port to use warehouse as well as the drupal or running individual PHP same as you configuring any ASP pages. You don’t need to install xampp or any other tools once you install PHP manager on it. So, the consistency will be there to use the non-default port like 8082,8111 or 82,83 and so on for warehouse.

Biren Rathod
BRC Web Developer

Hi Ross,

If port 80 is already in use, my first guess would be that it is in use by another web server, quite possibly IIS. Anyway, sounds like you have a good grasp on the problem. When you say that everything works fine, does that mean you have got past the problems that you mentioned in your earlier post?

Regards,
Jim Bacon

As an update to the problems Anne was reporting with respect to localhost not being found, the current suspect is her Internet Explorer settings. The problem was circumvented by using Firefox instead.

Jim Bacon.

Hi John, Biren and Jim

I think part of the problem was seeing Drupal, then Indicia, downloading info from the web instead of a single source, did the original install of Drupal on IIS, it worked, foolishly wanted to experience apache and Xampp seemed a good way to go. I find that if things go well not much is learned so I now know how to install the system.
The localhost settings solved all the issues posted.
Having tried some configuration changes today, I suspect my problems are only beginning.

Best regards
Ross

Hi Ross,

Does your enthusiasm know no bounds?
I'm pretty happy when things go well and I learn nothing!

Looking forward to hearing of your next adventure but if you are going in to uncharted territory you may have to rely on your own resourcefulness to get out of trouble.

Regards,
Jim Bacon.

Hello all

Warehouse1 on BRC is back to normal now.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

many thanks.

Biren Rathod
BRC Web Developer