Re: Submit sightings - how do you allow a line to be entered?

I believe that it is possible to draw a polygon to submit a ‘sighting’ e.g. an area of orchard.  Or to draw a line to represent the course of a wildlife rich hedgerow (linking two areas of habitat e.g. wood).  This is instead of the single click point reference for a data entry (grid reference).   Please can you point me in the direction of instructions to achieve this please?
Anne

Hi Anne
The bad news is that we don't have support for setting the spatial reference of a record using a drawn polygon. The good news is that the database does support storing any shape for the locality of an occurrence and also that Indicia's map components do have support for drawing polygons and lines on the map. So it is simply a matter of writing a bit of code to copy the drawn shape into the appropriate place ready for submission to the database.
I'll have a quick look at this in a moment - if it is a 5 minute job I'll let you know.

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Hi Anne
Got it working - I'll commit the changes and let you know what to do!
Cheers

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Hi Anne

I am just wondering what your overall objective is and whether you want to be creating polygons for samples or locations. I doubt you know what I mean as locations are not well documented.

You probably have got the idea that a sample is a record of who went where and when. The 'where' bit of that is typically a grid reference obtained by clicking on a map. However, if you are making repeat samples at the same place, you can define a location record, which could be a grid square or a more complex polygon, and just have the sample refer to that.

So, if you were doing repeat bird counts in local parks you might define the park as a location, each visit would be a sample referring to the park location and all the species counted would be occurrence records with the count stored as an occurrence attribute.

You would use a location for a boundary that you want to define once and use many times.

On the other hand, I can imagine if you were doing a habitat survey instead, you might want a sample to say on a particular date an area was of a certain type. In that case you would want the polygon to be part of the sample as it would be different on a subsequent visit.

Is it this latter case that describes what you want to achieve?

Jim Bacon.

Hi Anne
I've emailed you 2 replacement files and instructions. So polygon based recording will indeed feature in Indicia 0.8 and is available in the Subversion code repository now.
Cheers

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT