Re: WMS not limiting to a single dataset

I've just had my first play with WMS, so this may be a newbie issue...

I'm trying to display GCN records in MapInfo for just the dataset that we have uploaded but seem to be getting a map for the whole of the UK.

When I check the WMS details in MapInfo it reports:

Server URL:
http://gis.nbn.org.uk/arcgis/rest/services/grids/SingleSpeciesMap/NHMSYS0000080156/WMSServer?datasets=GA000458

Server Name:
Species occurrence map for Triturus cristatus, (Laurenti, 1768)

Version:

Abstract:
This map contains data from the following organisations: Bedfordshire and Luton Biodiversity Recording and Monitoring Centre

As a test I also set up a WMS server connection to
http://gis.nbn.org.uk/arcgis/rest/services/grids/SingleSpeciesMap/NHMSYS0000080156/WMSServer

i.e., leaving off the "?datasets=GA000458" part, and the Abstract was then reported as:

This map contains data from the following organisations: Aggregate Industries, Amphibian and Reptile Conservation, Bedfordshire and Luton Biodiversity Recording and Monitoring Centre, Berkshire Reptile and Amphibian Group, Biodiversity Information Service for Powys and Brecon Beacons National Park, Biological Records Centre, Biological Records In Essex, Bristol Regional Environmental Records Centre, Buckinghamshire and Milton Keynes Environmental Records Centre, Cheshire Triturus cristatus Site Inventory Partnership, Cofnod (North Wales Environmental Information Service), Countryside Council for Wales, Cumbria Biodiversity Data Centre, Derbyshire (Derby Museum) Biological Records Centre, Devon Biodiversity Records Centre, Dorset Environmental Records Centre, EcoRecord, Environmental Records Information Centre North East, Fife Nature Records Centre, Gloucestershire Centre for Environmental Records, Greater Manchester Ecology Unit, Greenspace Information for Greater London, Hampshire Biodiversity Information Centre, Herefordshire Biological Records Centre, Highland Biological Recording Group, Humber Environmental Data Centre, Leicestershire and Rutland Environmental Records Centre, Lincolnshire Biodiversity Partnership, Merseyside BioBank, National Trust, Norfolk Biodiversity Information Service, North & East Yorkshire Ecological Data Centre, Northamptonshire Biodiversity Records Centre, Nottinghamshire Biological and Geological Records Centre, Pond Conservation, Record, the Biodiversity Information System for Cheshire, Halton, Warrington and the Wirral, Rotherham Biological Records Centre, Sheffield Biological Records Centre, Shire Group of Internal Drainage Boards, Shropshire Ecological Data Network, Somerset Environmental Records Centre, South East Wales Biodiversity Records Centre, St Helens Wildlife Recording Group, Staffordshire Ecological Record, Suffolk Biological Records Centre, Sussex Biodiversity Record Centre, Thames Valley Environmental Records Centre, Wiltshire and Swindon Biological Records Centre, Worcestershire Biological Records Centre, Yorkshire Wildlife Trust

so the dataset part is being noticed by the NBN end, but the map I get in MapInfo appears to be identical for both URLs? Am I doing something wrong please?

Thanks, Keith

This may be a MapInfo/newbie thing. I looked in the .xml file that MapInfo created for the table and noted that although the "GetCapabilities=" URL contains the "?datasets=GA000458" ending, the "GetMap=" URL does not. When I added this by hand the map was then limited to just the Beds and Luton area as expected.

I need to discover why the MapInfo xml is like this, but the issue appears to be at this end rather than with the NBN WMS...

Regards, Keith

Hello Keith

Using the WMS URL http://gis.nbn.org.uk/arcgis/rest/services/grids/SingleSpeciesMap/NHMSYS0000080156/WMSServer?datasets=GA000458 should restrict the map of GCN to your single dataset.

I have tried in ArcGIS and it also returns a map for the whole of Britain and not your dataset restricted to Bedfordshire. I have alerted the NBN Gateway developers to have a look

Best wishes

Graham
NBN Technical Liaison Officer