Re: Names and Addresses

I would like to readdress the way that this module is presented and organised.

The data model is fine, separating the individuals and organisations but there is really no need for the application to be a reflection of the underlying data model (i.e. displaying two lists) as this is simply a recipe for user confusion. Non-technical users need to have an input into the design of the interface.
Broadly speaking the data model lends itself to some powerful and useful cross-connecting which are simply not implemented in Recorder 6. I've used an outline of the model myself to build a contacts database in Access, so I know some of the things it should be able to do:

1. Linking individuals to organisations & vice versa
Incoming data from all sorts of regional recording groups arrives in a variety of formats but quite commonly recorders are referred to by short acronyms which require a deal of research to interpret. Different organisations will use the same acronyms for different people. So many individuals will be related to one organisation and many organisations to one individual (database techies will recognise "one to many" relationships here). This is not really implemented in Recorder; the "Assocs." tab permits a textual description but nowhere can one build up a list indicating membership of a recording group (complete with dates and the acronym that that organisation uses for each member). My database reciprocates this such that by adding a person as a member of an organisation I can look at the details of that individual and see all the organisations of which they are a member. Recorder's Help file states "Associations are NOT automatically reciprocated. For example, if you make an entry recording that a person is an member of an organisation, an entry for the organisation recording that individual as a member WILL NOT be set up for you".

2. Addressing individuals within an organisation
This is a relatively straightforward thing that one may wish to do, i.e. set up a report and a query so as to construct a data-containing letter to a person with a particular job title within a particular organisation (e.g. Local Wildlife Site status notification to landowners or the Secretaries of all the local Natural History Societies & recording groups).
In Recorder I can write to the organisation (no individual may be specified) or I can write to the individual (without being able to specify the default organisation or job title); with only 4 lines available in the address box, it's tricky to specify both. Furthermore, if an individual has more than one status (e.g. Secretary of a recording group and Planning Officer in a Local Authority) I can only automatically output to the default address (tick box) and not programmatically choose on the basis of their status (the Role box is not the same as "Recorder role", has only 4 options and is not user-definable in the Term lists - why can these not be the same?).

3. More sophisticated facilities
Perhaps Recorder is not intended as an all-singing, all-dancing contacts database but the data contained within it does represent a good deal of research effort on our parts. Possibly the most appropriate approach to making this data resource available for our more sophisticated purposes would be the development of an add-in.  I shall refrain from making suggestions, perhaps others may care to do so.

Re: Names and Addresses

Hi Darywn

Just to let you know I have added this as a general suggestion to my spreadsheet here, and will amend as necessary following further input.

Kind regards,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
Biodiversity Information Assistant
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
Biodiversity Information Assistant
JNCC