Re: Dictionary Upgrade Kit Version 4

Version 4 of the Dictionary upgrade kit is available at http://jncc.defra.gov.uk/page-4615  This is an updated version of the upgrade software only and the latest Dictionary upgrade remains at   ‘Y’.

If you are already up to Dictionary upgrade  ‘Y’  then you do not need to download the new upgrade kit  until the next Dictionary upgrade.  A reminder to do so will be included when the next update becomes available.

If you have not updated to ‘Y’ then this new kit can be used to update the Dictionary without having to run the upgrades in specific batches.  All available upgrades can now be put in the scripts folder and run as one update.  Those for updates ‘Q ‘ to ‘ Y’ are already in the scripts folder in the Upgrade kit , so there is no need to download these again.   Remember that to run upgrades 0000000J.sql and above you must have upgraded Recorder to version 6.14.4 or above.

It is possible that some Dictionaries will not have updated fully using the previous version of the software.  If the upgrades were not run in the batches specified or if an upgrade was run out of sequence then the Dictionary will not have been properly updated.  We suggest that users run XML report  JNCC_sy07Y  which is available at http://forums.nbn.org.uk/uploads.php?file=JNCC_sy07Y_DictionaryCheck.zip

This report checks the number of records in each Dictionary table against the number in a Dictionary fully updated to ‘Y’, therefore, to produce useable results   the system being checked must have been  updated to ‘Y’ .  The report will give an indication if there are any problems by reporting where there are differences. The fewer tables reported on and the lower the number of records the better.  The file needs to be unzipped into the User File/Reports folder of Recorder 6. The report can then be run from System Reports/Information .  The results may vary slightly depending on the version of Recorder used for the initial installation.  If it shows problems with just a few tables(eg. Taxon_Version) then there is probably  no reason for concern.  If in doubt please post the results on the forum so that we can advise if action is required.   

If the report indicates that there are  problems  please request a copy of the latest beta test version of the Dictionary Synchroniser.

Mike Weideli

Hi Mike,

I've run the JNCC_sy07Y Dictionary Stats Check (Y) report and there are no records found.  Does this mean that we have a clean bill of health?

Mike Beard
Natural Course Project Officer
Greater Manchester Local Records Centre

Sorry. I didn't make this clear. The report will give an indication if there are any problems by reporting where there are differences. The fewer tables reported on  the better, The best result is to  have no lines returned.  Dictionaries with serious problems report differences in key tables like NameServer and  Taxon_List_Item.

Mike Weideli

4 (edited by TonyP 15-11-2011 09:21:35)

Thanks Mike I have to admit that I have many differences. What does one do if that is the case and why are there problems created?

R6Table    Difference
NAMESERVER    1161.00
TAXON    1210.00
TAXON_DESIGNATION    -15196.00
Taxon_designation_Set_Item    11
TAXON_DESIGNATION_TYPE    8
TAXON_LIST_ITEM    3372.00
TAXON_LIST_VERSION    2
TAXON_RANK    1
TAXON_VERSION    1210.00

Thanks
Tony

Data Manger
Somerset Environmental Records Centre

Two problem can occur in two ways. Firstly,  by failing to run the upgrades in the batches specified on the web site, which causes some .zip files not to be processed. Secondly, by running a .zip file upgrade out of sequence. Recorder wasn't detecting this and so complete upgrades could be missed.

The beta test version of the Dictionary Sync tool is available at
www.Lfield.co.uk/downloads/RECORDERSYNCTOOLV2.zip 

The tools brings the Dictionary is line with the master dictionary.  It doesn't affect any user aded taxa etc.

The downloaded file contains an explanation on how to install and run the applications. It has been used by a few users and does  work.  The issue we have had is with the connection to R6 which has sometimes caused a problem. You should that you take a backup before use and  please check that your site id remains unchanged after running the software.

Mike Weideli

Mike,

A typo in the link you provided "DownLoads" is not capitalized. The link should be
www.lfield.co.uk/downloads/RECORDERSYNCTOOLV2.zip

Kind regards
Harry

Harry Clarke
Surrey County Butterfly Recorder

Thanks.

Mike Weideli

8 (edited by TonyP 22-11-2011 14:11:03)

Ah well thanks Mike, I don't think I do have a problem as I discovered I had not updated the dictionary to Y. I did this and then ran the Dictionary Sync and discovered the number of 338 was reported. I then went back and ran the Sys07 Y report and found the result was -2. So the problem we had was me, having not updated the dictionary.

Not sure that the 2 is significant, should I accept the Dictionary Sync option to proceed with only 2 errors above that expected?

I did find one problem with the Dictionary Sync and that was that it does not seem to install on Windows 7 x64. The installer seems to finish but app does not run. The standard 'x seems to have stopped working...' message appears and then goes with nothing to say.

Thanks
Tony

Data Manger
Somerset Environmental Records Centre

The -2 is OK.  Thanks for the info about the Dictionary Synchroniser and Windows 7 x 64.

Mike Weideli

Hello Mike,

This looks rather horrible doesn't it?

ADMIN_AREA   -1.00
ADMIN_TYPE   -1.00
NAMESERVER   491.00
TAXON   421.00
TAXON_DESIGNATION_TYPE   -2.00
TAXON_LIST_ITEM   480.00
TAXON_LIST_VERSION   1
TAXON_VERSION   421.00

I'm a little surprised because I'm sure I've always been very careful to run all the updates in the correct order. (Mind you I can't vouch for what happened in days of old.)

Do you think I should run the synch script?

Also can you tell me how to check my site id?

Rich

Richard Burkmar
Biodiversity Project Officer
Field Studies Council

This does look wrong.  Before doing anything else can you just double check through R6, Help/About Recorder 6 that you are definitely on Dictionary '0000000Y'.  Your Site ID can be checked through R6 Help/About Recorder 6 (it is called copy identifier ).   

If you are definitely on 'Y' then you should try the Dictionary Sync. tool.  As I said the report only gives an indication that there might be a problem, but the tool will do a more detailed check. It will give you a detailed report on what it finds, which you can review before deciding whether to get  it to actually update the Dictionary. I suggest that you try the tool first without actually allowing it to change anything,  then review the results again.

Mike Weideli

Hello Mike

I get the same figures as Rich for the taxon tables when running the query against dictionary Y.

Is there a way I can get round the sync tool not installing on Windows 7 x64?

Alison Stewart
Dorset Environmental Records Centre

Alison Stewart
Dorset Environmental Records Centre

Mike I can confirm that we are up to update Y. Were those figures exactly the same Alison? That sounds rather odd doesn't it?

Rich

Richard Burkmar
Biodiversity Project Officer
Field Studies Council

The 64 bit problem could  take a while to resolve. I will see if I can see a particular upgrade which could be causing the problem. It may be that we need to have another report which  work out which  entries are missing so that we can find the upgrades(s) involved.

Mike Weideli