Re: SQL Server and Recorder 6 issues

Hi,

at CCW we will soon be rolling out Rec6 on citrix/sqlserver and a couple of issues have occurred to me:

1) What version of database is NBNDTA? The reason I ask is when I use SQL 2005 express management console to connect to NBNDATA it connects fine. However when I try to view the Database Diagrams it is not an option. Insead this message is shown: 

SQL Server 2005 database diagrams and SQL Server 2000 database diagrams are created and rendered differently. Because of these differences, SQL Server Management Studio cannot work with SQL Server 2000 diagrams. Use SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Manager instead.
When a database that contains diagrams is upgraded to SQL Server 2005, the diagrams will be upgraded when the diagrams folder is first opened

2) SQL server uses transactions, according to documentation there can be serious contention issues if transaction logs and database are not located on seperate physical disks. Obviously this is not a problem for one or two users but if we are using citrix to give the same database to multiple consecutive users,  performance could suffer considerably?

3) Is there any guidance on management of r6 database when SQL server is used? e.g. things like server memory allocation, transaction rollback, standby servers, backup and recovery etc.

thanks, Cyprian.

CyprianPayne
CCW

Hi Cyprian,
1) NBNData is indeed a SQL 2000 database, because Recorder supports SQL 2000 so it needs to be in that format, as it runs fine in SQL 2005 anyway.
2) I'm not sure how great an issue transaction contention would be on something like Recorder, unless you have a large number of users. However, from my understanding you will get better performance in general if you put the transaction log and database file on 2 different disks so it's probably a good idea anyway.
3) There is some guidance in the installation documentation on the CD, but I'm not sure if it's detailed enough for what you need.

Best Wishes

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

3 (edited by cmp260 05-05-2009 14:33:37)

Hi,

can anyone tell me if using Symantec net backup would be an acceptable and troublefree way to backup our Recorder 6 - SQl server instances as follows?

- Windows 2003 SP2 installed into VMWare ESX.
- Citrix XenApp 5 installed onto the Windows SP2 server.
- SQL Express installed onto the Windows 2003 SP2 server, multiple installations if required.
- Recorder 6 Server installed via the network install and DB attached.
- These site in there own folders; C:\Program Files\Recorder 6 Server\CCW000x, C:\Program Files\Recorder 6 Server\CCW000y, C:\Program Files\Recorder 6 Server\CCW000z
- Recorder 6 Workstation installed into the Citrix environment using application isolation to ensure the individual copies do not conflict with each other.
- Entire server backed up via Netbackup, individual files can be restored.

Citrix serves up the various recorder 6 apps to where they are required to users on our Novell network. Our IM department has proposed to use Symantec/Veritas Net Backup to backup the entire Win2003 server instead of using the SQL management console to run individual backups.

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks
Cyprian

CyprianPayne
CCW