Re: Obtaining data of higher accuracy

Hey Im working on a project which maps invasive species in Kent and East Sussex and I am trying to use high quality Grid References and point data, NBN seems to have a wealth of records, But I was wonering if all the data is to >1km squares, which is all I can seem to find?

Thanks if anyone can shed some light on whether more geographically accurate data is available through NBN.

Hi There,

The data that is visible on the NBN Gateway is often available at higher resolution from the organisation that supplied the data to the Gateway (usually a national recording scheme or a local record centre). You should see a list of the data providers below any query of the Gateway data, if you do it via the website.

As an aside, we at the Sussex Biodiversity Record Centre haven't uploaded our alien species to the Gateway (yet), and I don't think Kent & Medway Biological Record Centre have either, so you will want to check with us and them directly too.

Charles

Charles Roper
Digital Development Manager | Field Studies Council
http://www.field-studies-council.org | https://twitter.com/charlesroper | https://twitter.com/fsc_digital

Hello

The resolution of the grid references that are available via the NBN Gateway are dependent on 2 factors, the resolution the grid references were loaded onto the NBN Gateway, as supplied by the organisation, and the resolution that you as a registered user / public user have access to do. Under each map / site report there will be a list of datasets, and organisations that have contributed to that map / site report. Along side each are 2 columns
1.Dataset Resolution: Gives the highest grid reference resolution the dataset was supplied at
2.Your Resolution: Gives the resolution that you have access to

For example if the dataset was supplied at full resolution (6 figure - 100m) but you only have 10km resolution access then all the grid references will be shown at 10km. In this case you may apply to the organisation for better access to the dataset directly through the NBN Gateway (as long as you have logged in - click on the link to the appropriate dataset and then click on apply for better access link on the dataset metadata page), as well as contact the organisation directly as Charles suggests

Best wishes
Graham French
NBN Technical Liaison Officer

That works well enough, i am using 100m precision which should be good enough,
Thanks for your help!

5 (edited by ttbuff1975 04-12-2010 12:44:09)

i am also agree with that cuz it really working well. i would like to ask a question that what are factors where NBN gateway are dependent?

Wishing for a decent response.
Thanks

Dan,

I'm afraid the current webservices cannot do this. We'll look into it for the next webservices release.

Paul Gilbertson,
NBN Gateway Developer