Re: Problems with errantly flagged dead recorders

Just discovered a complete mystery.  A number of recorders in our database are showing up as dead (using the biography tab and 'date of death' field) despite the data apparently not having been entered.  Each one has the date of death set to April 2007 and date of birth unknown.  I've discovered 106 entries in our database, some old ones entered years ago but also including someone I entered yesterday!  I can't find any obvious link between these and can't replicate the error just by entering a new recorder.  Its also not even possible to enter these values manually on the Biography tab as the validation stops this. I'm at a loss to think what's going on!  Has anyone else experienced this?  I'm working on V6.13.2.176 (networked running off SQLServer Express) and was just about to run the latest update when I found this.  So, if this was a problem that occurred specifically with this version then it must surely be replicated elsewhere?  Or it must be something specific to my installation.  Thoughts anyone?

On an aside, with regard to the built in validation R6 doesn't allow you to enter a date of death without a date of birth, which of course we don't usually know.  Allowing 'unknown' in the DoB field should in fact be a sensible and valid option but you get an error saying 'Date of Birth cannot contain Date of Death'.  Can this be fixed in a future release?

Alternatively Recorder 6 knows something that I don't - that several of my recorders are in fact 'the undead' currently walking the earth (mmmm,  maybe it's on to something...)

MARK POLLITT
DGERC

Mark Pollitt
SWSEIC (formerly DGERC)

Re: Problems with errantly flagged dead recorders

Sorry I can't provide any assistance with your problem Mark, but I wanted to echo your concern about the validation issue.

Recording the death of a recorder is important, not least to stop their loved ones having to field insensitive enquiries from us later, I really don't care when they were born, I'm not gonna be sending them birthday cards..

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer
Wiltshire & Swindon Biological Records Centre