Re: Problem accessing Watsonian VCB

I have succesfully installed Watsonian VCB from CD but can not use the application. The initial window opens; selection of "Region," "Counties," "Seaward Extent" and "Output" as "ESRI Shape" are straightforward but I'm drawing a blank on "Input." On attempting to browse a selection in the "Input" box a new window opens entitled "Select MidMif File." This says "WatsonianVCBP" in the "Look in" box, followed by a big white space then a "File name" box near the bottom. When I click the down arrow next to this box, only one option appears: "C:\Program Files\WatsonianVCBP\VC Sco.mif." Selecting this then clicking open results in the message: "C:\ Program ................. Not Found." I have no idea what file name to enter for the application to proceed. I've tried uninstalling a re-installing the application but am getting the same result. My computer is an Apple Mac but I haveWindows XP Professional installed and am attempting the above on that operating system.

Cany anyone offer advice or suggestions?

Re: Problem accessing Watsonian VCB

I remember also finding the installation program pretty confusing. It was a whle ago now and I'm not sure how I resolved it, but I can probably offer a work-around.

By-pass the installation program completely and navigate the Vice County CD to the county files polgons or polylines directories and simply unzip them. All the MIF files should be there, and you can import the ones you need directly from wherever you unzipped them to.

Nick Moyes
Derbyshire (Derby Museum) Biological Records Centre