Re: Recorder Network Setup

I am attempting a trial setup of Recorder 6 on a network (well, actually using Virtual Machines in VMware - so I have one VM running SQL server, and another onto which I intend to install the Rec6 client).

However, I'm not at all sure from the network version of the installation guide how to proceed. The impication seems to be tht you do a local - standalone - install initially, on the client machine, including MSDE. You then detach the data files from MSDE, and copy them to the SQL Server machine, where you attach them to the SQL Server instance. Then you adjust the Registry settings to tell Rec6 to use the SQL Server instance. Have I understood this correctly?

However, I have just been issued with Rec 6.7.29 Network CD installation disc. This seems to want me to do part of the install (part 2 on the "Welcome" screen) on the SQL Server machine and then presumably come back to the client machine. Is this correct?

It's extremely useful haing access to VMWare, incidentally, to try this out. The worst I can do is crash a VM, and then it only takes (so I am assured) 10 mins to rebuild.

I'll be glad if someone can re-assure me I'm on the right track here, or otherwise let me know if I'm completely up a tree with it.

Cheers

Alan

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth

Alan,

Are you getting that info from the network installation docs? If so, they're leading you astray. What you need to do is install onto the server first using the network installation CD. If you have a SQL Server instance on there already, make sure you select it during the install process. Once this is done you should get a WorkstationSetip.exe in the Recorder 6 directory. You then need to run this (with admin privs) on each of the workstations you'd like to install on.

Charles Roper
Digital Development Manager | Field Studies Council
http://www.field-studies-council.org | https://twitter.com/charlesroper | https://twitter.com/fsc_digital

Thanks Charles

I'll come back to the issue of the documentation later.

I've got as far as attaching the datafiles to my SQL Server instance. But when I try to install Recorder on this machine then I get an error "Failed to get data for login mode".

i did the first part of the install using "Trusted Connection" rather than SQL Server authentication. Does this matter?

Alan

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth

4 (edited by adhale 02-08-2006 15:39:51)

Documentation - I'm looking at the Network Installation Guide which is on the 6.7.29 CD. There is no description that I can see of the network install process as you describe. There is a page describing how to migrate from MSDE to SQL Server, and a listing of file and folder locations for standalaone and network installations. The only mention of WorkstationSetup.exe is in this latter section where it says "In addition
WorkstationSetup.exe, the installation file required to install a workstation to use this server folder."

I guessed (wrongly as you have explained) how the installation works from the "Welcome" screen listing of 3 steps.

To recap my situation now -

I've skipped Step 1, since I have an existing SQL Server 2005 installation

I've carried out Step 2 "Create the Recorder 6 database and attach it to your instance of SQL Server" on the machine running SQL Server

I've tried to carry out Step 3 "Recorder 6 Server installation (on the server) but when I try to select my SQL Server instance a dialog pops up "Failed to get data for LoginMode". The install then packs up.

Having looked at the documentation again I guess using Trusted Connection should be OK.

Any further help, please?

Alan

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth

Hi there Alan,

As you may have seen on a few other posts, this process is far from straightforward. We are still, 5 months from our last major installation , having problems with accessing the backend.

Something that I can say with emphasis, is that you must to be logged into the server as it's administrator & ensure that this login gives you the same (God-like) permissions for the network and workstations.

We are still negotiating the myriad of permissions within the Server in order to get workstations to run properly without them being logged in as administrators, so be wary. 

I'd also advise that you enlist the support of a reseller & also get your ICT dept. fully involved with things before it goes too pear-shaped.

Good luck, Rob.

Thanks Rob for this. Somewhat discouraging, but best to be forewarned! 

Alan

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth

You have an SQL Server 2005 installation? If that's the case, then then unfortunately 6.7.29 installer won't work - it's not compatible with 2005. However, you could do what I did and install onto the server using MSDE to get everything setup, then install 2005 and migrate the database over to that (it's the same process as migrating to 2000 pretty much). You have to change the registry entries in any existing workstation installs to point to the new server instance. There is an ini file (or similar) in the workstation setup directory that tells the workstation installer what instance to point to, so you can change this to save yourself from updating the registry on each workstation you install onto.

Or you could wait for 6.8, which has an installer that is compatible with MSSQL2005.

Charles Roper
http://www.field-studies-council.org | https://twitter.com/charlesroper | https://twitter.com/fsc_digital

Thanks Charles. I'll give this a whirl.

Alan

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth

9 (edited by adhale 03-08-2006 10:49:42)

OK, I've successfully installed MSDE on the server and set up the Recorder database. But when I got Step 3 and try to install "Recorder 6 server" it proceeds as far as creating the Access-linked database then falls over with the following message:

"[SQL-DMO] The RPC server is unavailable"

Alan

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth

.. but if I enter the FULL server name, including host name, it goes ahead. Phew - one more hurdle overcome!

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth

11 (edited by adhale 03-08-2006 11:04:32)

So I now need some help please with proceeding to the workstation install. Charles refers to the WorkstationSetup.exe file. I assume I have to copy this to a CD and run on teh workstation. But what other files do I need? There's a WorkstationSetup folder? Is that the only other thing I need to copy to CD? Why isn't this documented (or is it, somewhere?).

Alan

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth

12 (edited by Rob B 03-08-2006 14:50:59)

Hi Alan,

Compared with what you've just gone through, this bit should be simple.

First thing to do is map your workstation to the server. At this point ensure you have logged in as admin & have full permissions on all folders, sub-folders etc on both machines (and the network!).

Open your new mapped drive & you will see WorkstationSetup.exe at the bottom of the folder called, in our case 'Recorder 6 Server on B Drive', double-click & follow the now familiar setup screens.

If it's running properly, this should take no more than 10 mins before asking for a reboot.

Sorry to hammer on about permissions, but after the past 5 months, it's the key thing to screwing this setup into the ground!

Cheers now, Rob.

Thanks again Rob. Now at least I understand how this is SUPPOSED to work.

I've mapped the appropriate folder on the server and carried out the workstation install, apparently without a problem. But when I try to run Recorder workstation it cannot connect to the server. The Registry entry for the server path looks fine. As you say, permissions must be the key, so I'll have a trawl through. Humph! - I really hoped I was going to crack this today.

Cheers

Alan

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth

When you say it cannot connect to the server, what does it say exactly? Are there any error messages?

Charles

Charles Roper

15 (edited by adhale 03-08-2006 15:41:17)

"EOleException:[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen(Connect())]. SQL Server does ot exist or access denied."

On further investigation I find that I cannot connect to the MSDE instance through SQL Server management tools, from the client, though I can connect to SQL Server 2005 runing on the same server as MSDE. If that makes sense!

I should add as well (though it may or not be relevant) that during MSDE install a reboot is required. I was expecting the install to continue after reboot, but nothing happened. So I just restarted the CD and went to the add data files step. Is this what's supposed to happen?

Alan

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth

So why don't I just transfer the data files to te SQL Server 2005 instance, change the workstation registry entry, and forget about the MSDE instance?  I hear you ask. That's what I'm going to do (having sat out in the sun for 5 mins and thought about it).

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth

After the reboot, the install process should continue. The data file (the mdf) should get attached to the database at this stage; no idea why yours didn't. This sounds like it could be the reason for the 'does not exist' error.

Charles Roper

18 (edited by adhale 03-08-2006 16:41:43)

The data files DID get attached, this was not the problem. And I've just swapped the data files over to the SQL Server instance, and everything seems to work.

One other thing I had to fix though - originally I changed the Registry entry on the workstation with the host name of the server in its DNS form - this didn't work. But when I cahnged it to give the host IP address + SQL Server name - this worked.

Phew!

In the light of Rob's comments though, I'm not complacent. This has all been done with full admin rights, and on VMWare, and with no file server involved - just client and database server. I foresee more complications ahead.

Thanks all for your help.

Alan

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth

Yes, permissions are a minefield. I predict you'll be in touch again. :)

Charles Roper

Yes, I'm back.

In my original network installation I did the worktation install from an admin account on the client machine. It seems like the install only works for the particular suer its done from, and you have to do a separate install for each (Windows) user on any one machine. Correct?

Now I want to check that I can set up a bog-standard user with the workstation. But when I try to do the workstation install it just freezes at "Editing Registry Settings: database password". Any suggestions please?

Also I've realised that there is no actual client application installed on the client machine - the appliction is run from the server via the mapped network drive. Can someone confirm this is the way it is supposed to work, or have I missed something? It does seem a rather primitive form of networking. Are there any plans for a separate client application (i.e. an exe actually running on the client machine)?

Cheers

Alan

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth

21 (edited by Rob B 09-08-2006 14:16:42)

Hi Alan,

Sorry to hear about your difficulties, although am not that surprised from our collective experience. So to answer your points in order:

In my original network installation I did the worktation install from an admin account on the client machine. It seems like the install only works for the particular suer its done from, and you have to do a separate install for each (Windows) user on any one machine. Correct?

Now I want to check that I can set up a bog-standard user with the workstation. But when I try to do the workstation install it just freezes at "Editing Registry Settings: database password". Any suggestions please?

Ithink these two issues are connected. One of the few things from the network installation guide which does make sense is that once the server installation is complete, make a user group which can access all parts. We've found that this group needs admin rights for most of things to work. Once you've done this, then anyone can login to the workstation (because they're members of that privileged group) and you can adjust the user config within R6 according to each users' needs. You should not need multiple installs on the same workstation.

there is no actual client application installed on the client machine - the appliction is run from the server via the mapped network drive. Can someone confirm this is the way it is supposed to work, or have I missed something?

No, this is how it's supposed to work.

As mentioned in previous posts, once we get a working config, we'll post it.

A word of warning though, don't try to install any local map tiles when logged in as anything other than sys admin. It fries things and even after reinstall, (all registry entries were deleted manually etc...) that machine still can only be run through my login.

Thanks once again Rob.

There's obviously a lot that's unsatisfactory about this. For a start off our systems administrators here won't be happy about giving a large chunk of staff admin rights in their Windows accounts. And our network admin is VERY unhappy about this architecture.

I assume there is a reason the following suggestio won't work - install Recorder onto the workstation, then manually move the database from a local MSDE to a remote SQL. This would leave  the Recorder application exe, etc on the "client" PC, but the database would be on the remote SQL Server. No go?

Alan

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth

Hi again Alan,

Well technically, what you suggest sounds similar to having a file server and a separate database server which I believe is the "ideal" model they show in the Network Install guide- (page 6). I think that it should work as a standalone installation which may get round some of the permissions minefield mentioned above. However I'd be wary of performance issues-See Charles' post here http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=43 regarding SQL server.

Frankly, the reason we made the 'Recorder User Group' in essence a subset of the admin group, was that we are still figuring out which permissions to tweak to get users onto R6 without too many errors. Most common errors ?

-access violations & ODBC errors

Naturally enough, our and probably every other ICT dept are understandably not particularly happy with this arrangement together with the amount of unplanned time they are needing to give to Recorder 6 setup.

As an afterthought, it's one reason all our data-entry volunteers are vetted before starting work, coupled with signed proof of our data-access, data protection and confidential species policies.

Oh and we never mention to them that they are effectively administrators...

A few points I think I need to clarify:

1) In our setup at least, you should install Recorder 6 Server (obviuosly as administrator), then install the workstation (once) also as administrator.  Having done that, you can run Recorder 6 workstation on any account, even one that is not local machine administrator. It is possible that something else about your 'restricted' accounts is blocking something Recorder nees access to.  Charles (if you're reading this) did you ever get round to trying out the registry or file monitor tools to find out what access problems occur when running under a non-admin account?

2) Having the Recorder exe sitting on the file server does not mean that the exe does not run on the client, it just means that when you run Recorder it is brought across the network to the client.  This approach in fact it means there is less to install and less to do when you need to upgrade (i.e. you run the upgrade once, not once on each workstation). From a network admin point of view this is much better than having to upgrade all clients.

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Thanks John for this clarification. I have relayed it to our systems admin.

I'm away now for a few days but will try another complete network installation from scratch next week, bearing mind what you have said.

Surely this does all need to be better documented than it is at present.

Regards

Alan

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth