Re: Problem entering species lists

I'm having an intermittent problem entering species lists in Recorder 6.13 - after all the species have been added to the list, pressing save creates the following error:

Exception path:
EStringListError : List index out of bounds (3)

At this point nothing will clear the problem, even reducing the list to only one entry, changing the site, date, survey, recorder - all produce the same error, however, we managed last week to enter about 20 sites without a problem and today we entered 8 lists fine then it stuck on the ninth - this is getting VERY annoying as all the records added to the list are lost on exiting the list by pressing the close icon (the only way out)

Craig

Craig Slawson
Staffordshire Ecological Record

Craig is this occurring for a particular recording card or a mixture of different ones?
There are a number of entries with this type of error - two regarding imports/exports (where the dates in event/sample/occurrence did not agree or were blank - the following link may help http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=374) and the other was after editing a location name that had an apostrophe (which caused an error and then the same error you have after editing). Has any data been entered and then deleted when this happens? The link points to an entry by Sally Rankin which suggests checking the database for corruptions.

Lynn

All lists, both successful and failures, were created using the same recording card - we did have an apostrophe in a Location Name in one which failed, but I think we had already successfully added several for the same site, so not pattern
I think Sally's comment about checking for corruption will only work in Access based Recorder (i.e. 2002) not in SQL Server, but if there is a mechanism for checking the validity of the background database I'll certainly try it

Craig Slawson
Staffordshire Ecological Record

Hi Craig

Can you tell me if this occurs again if you type in exactly the same data, or does it seem to occur randomly? If you can provide details of how to reproduce it consistently we should be able to provide a fix.

Simon

Simon Wood
[url=http://www.dorsetsoftware.com/]Dorset Software Services[/url]