Topic: Installing Rec6 on Azure within M365 tenant

Hello all, I just wanted to reach out to see if anyone has had experience of installing Rec6 onto a virtual server in M365?

I'm not a techie person, but we need to migrate our copy of Rec6 from our dated on premises server to another location (ultimately the cloud). I am also wondering whether migrating Rec6 to the cloud is worth it now if a replacement is due over the short term?

We need to migrate away from our server as a matter of some urgency, but we could move to a temporary location whilst we wait for the replacement to be released.

So, has anyone had any experience of installing Rec6 on an Azure environment?
And is there is a projected release date for a new system?

Many thanks,

Eric

Eric Fletcher
RECORD Manager
http:/www.record-lrc.co.uk

Re: Installing Rec6 on Azure within M365 tenant

Hi Eric

We have just migrated R6 to an Azure environment and it installed and works perfectly. As far as I know you'll need two things, a SQL Server Azure environment (we specified this to be SQL Server 2017 to be sure of compatibility) and a Virtual Machine (VM) environment to install and run R6 on. Both the SQL Server and VM environments should come with enough disk space to store the database and to install the application and user files so you shouldn't need any additional file storage unless you are planning to migrate other applications or data to the VM too.

We've migrated all of our data and applications to Azure so R6 is only a small part of our set-up, but everything has migrated fine and is running smoothly (ArcMap is a bit slow and unstable but ArcGIS Pro, MapInfo and QGIS all seem to be perfectly fine).

I don't know what the costs will be like for running just R6 on Azure, it will depend on if you qualify for charity licensing and how many users will need logins for the VM. It will also depend on whether you need a full SQL Server licence or if your database and needs are small and simple enough to run R6 on SQL Server Express.

Once a web replacement for R6 is available there will still be a need to host the database in SQL Server so I hope/expect moving the database to Azure won't be wasted.

Andy

Andy Foy
Systems Manager
Greenspace Information for Greater London (GiGL) CIC
www.gigl.org.uk