Re: Recorder User Group Meeting

JNCC is hosting a Recorder User Group Meeting on the 10th November 2008. This consists of representatives from each country agency, an LRC from each country, recording schemes and the steering group.

The following items will be covered on the agenda:
1.    Update on the next version – what is planned and what are the timescales
2.    Feedback on the survey of the use of Recorder in LRCs
3.    General discussion around the priorities emerging from the survey
4.    More detailed discussion around the following areas:
-    Record verification:  tools, data and the role of Recorder
-    Species dictionary
-    Reporting
5.             AOB

You are invited to contact one of the following delegates (who will be attending the meeting) with any comments or suggestions on any of the agenda items:

Charles Roper
Claire Seymour
Damian McFerran
David Slade
Guy Colling
Janet Simkin
John Van Breda
Barry O'Neill
Mark Wright
Mike Weideli
Cyprian Payne
Naomi Kingston
Richard Alexander
Richard Weddle
Rudolf May
Sally Rankin
Sam Story
Darwyn Sumner
Gill Calder

Lynn

Thanks for your note about this meeting - I'm very keen to feed into this process, however there is no representative from an LRC in Scotland on your list - can  you tell me who is invited? (and if they will be attending) This is rather critical - especially as Scottish LRCs were, for some reason, not inlcuded in the survey of LRCs?

Sara

Lynn Heeley wrote:

JNCC is hosting a Recorder User Group Meeting on the 10th November 2008. This consists of representatives from each country agency, an LRC from each country, recording schemes and the steering group.

The following items will be covered on the agenda:
1.    Update on the next version – what is planned and what are the timescales
2.    Feedback on the survey of the use of Recorder in LRCs
3.    General discussion around the priorities emerging from the survey
4.    More detailed discussion around the following areas:
-    Record verification:  tools, data and the role of Recorder
-    Species dictionary
-    Reporting
5.             AOB

You are invited to contact one of the following delegates (who will be attending the meeting) with any comments or suggestions on any of the agenda items:

Charles Roper
Claire Seymour
Damian McFerran
David Slade
Guy Colling
Janet Simkin
John Van Breda
Barry O'Neill
Mark Wright
Mike Weideli
Cyprian Payne
Naomi Kingston
Richard Alexander
Richard Weddle
Rudolf May
Sally Rankin
Sam Story
Darwyn Sumner
Gill Calder

Sara Hawkswell

The Wildlife Information Centre
[i]for Lothians and the Scottish Borders[/i]

Hi Sara,

Gill Calder is the nominated representative for Scotland who will be attending. If you do not know her contact details email me via the link and I will put you in touch.

Thanks,
Lynn

Lynn

Gill works for Scottish Wildlfie Trust and can't be viewed LRC representative as SWT do not run any LRCs!!  I know Gill well and I'm sure she woudl agree on this!

Your lisitng for the group does say that you have invted and LRC from each country and the other 3 countries do seem to have representation.  I do think that this is critical as it does seem that Scottish LRCs are being excluded from this process especially as we haven't been consulted on our views on Recorder.

Perhpas you could address this balance?

Thanks Sara

Sara Hawkswell

Hi Sara,

Thank you for your comments. You are absolutely right there does not appear to be a representative from the Scottish LRCs currently attending the User Group meeting in November, thank you for pointing this out. I hope you are aware that we are very keen to have representation from all of the countries in the UK and have not intended to 'exclude' anyone. Perhaps you could advise me as to who might act as the collective voice for Scottish LRCs who would be able to nominate a Scottish representative for the meeting.

We recently consulted English LRCs regarding their use of Recorder and how it could be improved via an online survey. This was largely restricted to English LRCs (two Welsh LRCs fed back also) as it related to last year's general strategy of capacity building of record centres in England; DEFRA (along with the Country Agencies) invested in a series of enhancements to Recorder  which was rolled out as part of version 6.13. The survey was intended as a follow up to assess how sucessful the package is in local record centres in England and pick up on what the key issues are that still need to be addressed. The survey included aspects like support and training as well as the actual development of the package itself. You seem to have pre-empted our wish to roll out this consultation process to a wider audience in light of further proposals to improve the Recorder package. Perhaps again, you may be able to assist us with regards to a collective voice for Scottish LRCs who may be able to supply us with contact details for the purposes of this survey.

Many thanks and Best Wishes,
Lynn Heeley
JNCC

Many thanks Lynn

I will liaise with other LRCs in Scotland and get back to you - and make sur eyo uhave a lsit of Scottish LRCs for the roll -out of the survey (I will make sure LWIC replies fully and promptly having asked for this!!)

Scottish LRCs don't have a formal regional gorup (although this mught evolve as a way of working with ALERC - we do have BRISC - I'll make the necessary communications.

Regards
Sara

Sara Hawkswell

Hi Sara,

Great, thank you.

I have managed to cobble together a preliminary list of LRCs and centres of biological recording (from BRISC and the NFBR Contact Database) for the survey and sent them an introductory email with the link to the survey this afternoon. But, a comprehensive list would be extremely useful as its likely that I haven't found everyone (and I have 4 for which I have no email address: CARSE - Forth Valley, Falkirk, Inverness and Highland BRG).

I look forward to both your collective nomination for the Recorder User Group meeting and a full list of LRCs (might be easier to email me that directly using the link on the left).

Many thanks for your efforts,
Lynn

I am pleased to announce that Ian Carle of Scottish Borders BRC will be the Scotish LRC representative at the Recorder User Group Meeting on monday 10th November.

Thank you to Sara Hawkswell for her co-ordination efforts.

Lynn
JNCC

The following link will take you to the minutes from the Recorder user Group Meeting from November 2008.
http://forums.nbn.org.uk/uploads.php?file=Recorder%20User%20Steering%20Group%20Meeting%20Minutes%20V2.doc
Sorry for the dealy in posting these.

Lynn