Topic: Recorder6 won't start - Dictionary path missing or incorrect

I performed the following actions
1) Backed up database
2) Updated Dictionary from 4S to 4T, rebuilt indexes, ran XML Report Dic2 (everything OK)
deleted folder 4T
3) Updated Dictionary from 4T to 4U, rebuilt indexes, ran XML Report Dic2 (everything OK)
I was unable delete folder 4U as a file was still open
4) Updated Dictionary from 4U to 4V, rebuilt indexes, ran XML Report Dic2 (everything OK)
5) Backed up database
6) Exited Recorder6
Deleted folders 4U and 4V
7) Started Recorder6 which crashed reporting
"The Dictionary Path setting is missing or incorrect. Recorder is not installed properly and cannot start."

I tried continuing the application and exiting, all without success.

Post's attachments

Error-73776457610607.txt 37.16 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Harry Clarke
Surrey County Butterfly Recorder

Re: Recorder6 won't start - Dictionary path missing or incorrect

After a bit of research, I tried restoring folders 4U and 4V, which enabled Recorder 6 to restart.
This is strange as those two folders should only be temporary folders used for the Dictionary updates. Why does Recorder6 still want them?

Harry Clarke
Surrey County Butterfly Recorder

Re: Recorder6 won't start - Dictionary path missing or incorrect

Hi

This is a bug, fixed in 6.31. On opening R6 is checking that the the Dictionary Upgrade path last used is still present. The dictionary update path is saved in the registry to save user having to specify it each time. New updates can just be added to the folder. However, there is no reason why you should use the same folder each time and R6 shouldn't be checking that it is still there. You have found the temporary  solution which is to create the last used folder.

Mike Weideli