Topic: Error importing records

I was attempting to import 3 records from an Excel Spreadsheet (downloaded from iRecord as a csv file, with some minor edits and saved as xsls file). A job I have done numerous times before. No problems experienced reading the file. At the final step in the process Recorder6 reported the error
Error occurred transferring records for SQLSERVER_TAXON_OCCURRENCE_DATA into the main database: Error occurred transferring records for SQLSERVER_TAXON_OCCURRENCE_DATA into the main database: Not a valid bookmark.

Exiting Recorder6 and restarting, I checked the observations
For two records (1st and 3rd) the Event and Sample had been created, but there were no Taxon Occurrence underneath. Attempting to delete the Sample, Recorder6 reported that it was unable to delete because it was referenced by other records in the database. However, Related Data showed no linked records.
The 2nd record does not appear in the observations
Running version 6.30.0,291 under Windows 10, using SQL Server 2017, with database version C3 and dictionary 4S

Rejected records
Items rejected by Recorder 6 in data imported at 11-15-52 on 05/12/2020:
Created SQLSERVER_SURVEY_EVENT
Created SQLSERVER_SAMPLE
Created SQLSERVER_TAXON_OCCURRENCE
Created SQLSERVER_SURVEY_EVENT_RECORDER
Exception on create for SQLSERVER_TAXON_OCCURRENCE_DATA: Not a valid bookmark

Post's attachments

Error-73776440554734.txt 53.26 kb, 2 downloads since 2020-12-05 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Harry Clarke
Surrey County Butterfly Recorder

Re: Error importing records

Hi

I am hoping this is a one off glitch. I suspect the Taxon_Occurrence is in the table, but not the determination which is why you can't see the occurrence in R6 or delete the sample.

Try using the Quick Batch Update to remove the Sample. To do this open the Observation hierarchy and highlight the Sample, then select tools from the main menu and hover over Batch Update. This should show to the right System Supplied/Delete. Select Delete and it should delete the sample. You will need to close the observation hierarchy and open it again to see the effect. 

Try the import again. Hopefully it will work, but if not try it again without importing the Abundance data. If it then works it might be an issue with the data in the Abundance field.

Mike Weideli

Thank you for your help
The Batch Update worked. I performed Batch Update to delete the sample, which resulted in 2 records been deleted. I was then able to manually delete the Event.
I ran the import again, this time with only one record, and checked that the Abundance Adult Count record was OK. When I clicked on the Import records, I got the same error again. This time, I Continued the application, and clicked on Import records again, which worked OK.

Harry Clarke

I imported another batch of records, this time 308 records, which imported without error. Strange as it was the same format as the previous file.

Harry Clarke

Having now imported several other files without problem, I wonder whether the number of columns in the input file is causing a problem. The first file which caused the error had a large number of columns (up to CD1 - about 84 columns) most of which were ignored. In the second file, I deleted 21 of those columns, which enabled the file to be processed OK. Subsequent files that I have imported have less columns, and they have all imported without error.

Harry Clarke

Hi

I wasn't aware of a column limit, but you could be right. I will have a look in the code to see if there is anything obvious. However, it is good news is that you can continue to import and the partially entered records have gone.

Mike Weideli