Topic: Recorder 6 won't open

Hi, my Recorder 6 software won't open. I am getting an error message 'An error occurred whilst starting the application. EOleException: [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

My PC runs on Windows 10, Recorder was working OK a couple of months ago when I last used it and I'm not aware of any changes in the interim except some Windows Updates. I believe we are using SQL Server 2012.

I wonder if I need to upgrade to a new SQL Server? Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Re: Recorder 6 won't open

Most likely the SQL Server service has stopped.  Windows updates can do this.
See Recorder 6 FAQ on the Forum, there is a post there about this.

https://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=6403

Mike Weideli

Hi, I've checked services and they are running. I've restarted them just in case but it's not resolved it unfortunately.

Hi

Upgrading to a new version of SQL Server is unlikely to help.  Something must have changed, but I am not sure what. Have you changed your computer login name ?  How much access do you have to check things ?

Any chance of me getting access to your system via Team Viewer, otherwise I am going to have to explain to you to how do several different checks.

Mike Weideli

5 (edited by Kate A 27-11-2020 09:25:30)

Hi Mike, yes the computer login name was changed recently, I did not realise that would affect it. Yes, we use Teamviewer so you could certainly get access to check things if that would be the quickest way to resolve it. Thanks. Apologies for the slow response, I only work part-time.

The login is proably not valid for SQL Server. You will be using Windows Authentication which links the SQL Server Login to the Windows Login. If you have Management Studio installed then it shoould be fairly easy to correct this. If not you may need to install Management Studio.

Mike Weideli

Hi Mike, I have got Management Studio installed but cannot get it to connect to make any changes to the usernames. On opening it shows
Server Type: Database Engine
Server name: (local)
Authentication: I have changed to 'SQL Server Authentication' and attempted to login using 'sa' but when I try to connect it brings up the following message;

TITLE: Connect to Server
------------------------------

Cannot connect to (local).

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 2)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName … nkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

Hi

I can take a look. Give me a few date/times when using teamviewer would suit you.  Any day is Ok but afternoons or early evenings  will probably be easier for me.

Please feel free to email me directly. mike@lfield.co.uk

Mike Weideli

That's great, thanks. I've emailed you this morning (it will come from kate@kemerton.com),