Re: Wider networking of Recorder

Hi

Has anyone set Recorder 6 up across a multisite network? I am not sure whether many other users will have wanted or needed to try it. We are starting to test this and, although it seems relatively painless so far, any advice would be gratefully received.

Initially we will be adding users to the MSDE network set up that is working at a single office, only going for the full SQL Server license if it goes well. Does anyone know how flexible the quoted limit of 5 concurrent users is? I have managed to get 7 concurrent connections - in an attempt to find out what happens if you exceed the limit, with no apparent effect, although I imagine it might be different if all users were trying to run queries at the same time.

Gordon

Gordon Barker
Biological Survey Data Manager
National Trust

Re: Wider networking of Recorder

Hi Gordon,

I've seen Recorder 6 running multi-site using Citrix quite happily, and I've also used the Recorder 6 client connected via a VPN to a remote database server - in this case it was only the database server that was remote. The main issue might be if you try to load the Recorder 6 executable from a remote file server as the file is quite big now, but you could set it up so the exe is local if necessary and just share the database and map files. If you do this then you will need to run the upgrades in each unique place though.

The limit of 5 concurrent connections in MSDE does not mean 5 users, it means it will only try to do up to 5 things at once. So, if you have 50 users and 45 are just reading a screen, then it will be fine. Even if you exceed the number of concurrent tasks you ask from MSDE, then it simply delays the 6th request until a "slot" is available, so it will only be noticeable occasionally. One thing you might thing about is using SQL Express as this does not have the same limit.

Best Wishes

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT