Topic: Strange names appearing in Occurrences panel
I'm not sure when this started happening (may have always been the case and I'd not noticed), but recently I've noticed some strange Common Names appearing the in the Occurrences Panel of Recorder:
e.g. 'Keck' for Anthriscus sylvestris and 'Birdseye Speedwell' for Veronica chamaedrys
I always presumed the Occurrences panel displayed the current Sci/Common names for each species irrespective of the list used to enter the record - this is obviously not the case because I've found some entries listed as Cow Parsley (presumably a different list was chosen to enter these)
In the species Dictionary Keck (Anthriscus sylvestris) appear to be the entry on the Rec 3.3 list - despite it never being the common name IN Rec 3.3! The Birdseye Speedwell also appears to originate on the Rec 3.3 list
To add confusion, searching 'Keck' in Preferred Taxa returns Heracleum sphondylium (off Rec 3.3 list) - but doesn't find Anthriscus sylvestris even when searching Unrestricted !!!!!!
Luckily this does not appear to affect reports if outputting the 'preferred' name, but is confusing for non-taxonomists!
Searching for Keck in the NBNAtlas only returns Heracleum, and doesn't even list 'Keck' in the list of common names for Anthriscus - I'm wondering if there is a problem with the species dictionary in my copy of Recorder - on dictionary 4Q
Note: Wikipedia does include 'Keck' as a regional name for Anthriscus
Attached is a screen capture of the relevant bits of the Rec 3.3 list
Staffordshire Ecological Record