Topic: cascading source document entries

There has long been a problem with the addition of related documents to Recorder occurrence records:

1) If a record is added via the single entry form in Recorder, the Source Document is attached to the SAMPLE
2) If a record is imported via a spreadsheet or text file, the Source Document is attached to the TAXON_OCCURRENCE
3) I don't know where the Recording Forms put their data relating to literary references

In Recorder there appears to be no link between the Document stored in the Sample and the child Taxon Occurrences hence to find all the records attached to a document, it is necessary to run two searches one against the Sample and one against Taxon Occurrence

Would it be possible to either
1) build a link so if a document is linked to the Sample, then all child occurrences refer to it automatically; or
2) make the import and direct entry behave in the same manner, so both put the literary reference in the same table (obviously for historical data there will need to be a batch file to move all the references to the same table)

Craig

Craig Slawson
Staffordshire Ecological Record

Re: cascading source document entries

Doesn't Mantis 680 deal with this (v6.29)?

Mantis 680 – When a Recording Card/Species card is used for entries for documents are created as Sample Sources. With the Import Wizard they are created as Taxon_Occurrence Sources. This means that documents can end up attached to different levels of the R6 Observation structure, which makes reporting difficult and is confusing.  This change offers an option to automatically create Taxon_Occurrence_Source entries based on the Sample Sources when the card is saved.  The option to do this can be turned on/off in ‘Options/Other’. An alternative method of dealing with this is provided Report Wizard output which amalgamates the documents from the two sources.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

So it does, I missed that one! Thanks Charlie

Craig Slawson

I notice this doesn't work with biotopes, only taxon occurrences (at least for individual entry, not checked the recording cards)

Craig

Craig Slawson

Hi

It should work with recording cards. It can be extended to biotopes fairly easily and I have added it as a development for the next release (after v6.30).

Mike Weideli