Topic: Length of forename/surname field

Can we increase the lengths of the forename/surname fields? I'm hitting the limits with a few particularly long ones. A useful discussion at https://stackoverflow.com/questions/209 … ase-fields

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Re: Length of forename/surname field

Hi

I have added it to the development requests. At first glance it seems fairly easy to do, but it will have knock on effects in several places including user defined functions and stored procedures. Also in processes  like the Import Wizard and Report Wizard, Exporting and perhaps some XML reports . For this reason it will need some careful investigation and planning, and extensive testing when complete.

Mike Weideli

Thanks Mike

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Hi
I have taken a look at this in more detail. There are lots of places to change, but I think they can be fairly easily identified. so I will aim to have go with a view to the change going in 6.31 (6.30 is too far advanced ). Current both the Forename and Surname are 30 characters in length, which is the passport office limits. The UK government recommends 35 for both fields,  so would go with this unless there is a requirement for more - views please.

Mike Weideli