Topic: Using the Organism Table in Recorder

I don't know if this is a UKSI issue, or Recorder6

I've been trying to use the Organism table to sort some data, but the SORT_ORDER column confuses me - I assumed it would sort all the taxa into an 'approved' taxonomic order, but the order it produces is not immediately obvious:

For most taxa, the above is true, but ...
* in the sample I'm working on the highest Sort Order is a turbellarian worm (Monocelis lineata) followed by a fish (Greek Lamprey, Caspiomyzon hellenicus) which are above the Mammals and not near any other fish or Turbellaria
* many algae appear between the liverworts and the mosses
* Metzgeria pubescens (a moss) is in the taxonomic order with Metzgeria alba & M. gagei (both sea-snails) - this is obviously wrong!

Craig

Craig Slawson
Staffordshire Ecological Record

Re: Using the Organism Table in Recorder

This shouldn't be the case because the sort order is derived form the taxonomic hierarchy. If anything is out of order then this will mean that the wrong parent has been allocated to a taxonomic level. Each one that is wrong needs investigating and  fixing in the UKSI  ?  In the last case you mention I suspect this an automated allocation which has done the wrong thing.

I think the R6 process is fairly robust and will process what is there  correctly, but I will check out a few of the cases you mention just to check this.

Mike Weideli