Re: Scheduled downtime for NBN Gateway - week beginning 29th September

Hi all,

I posted a couple of weeks ago to let you know that web services would no longer be available on the old infrastructure after 12th September. The reason for this is that the servers are going to be decommissioned ahead of the closure of CEH Monks Wood, where they are hosted.

The new infrastructure is also currently hosted at CEH Monks Wood. This has to be moved to CEH Wallingford and the date for this has now been confirmed as the week beginning 29th September. Since we are physically moving the machines down to Oxfordshire, there will inevitably be some downtime.

Neither the NBN Gateway website nor web services will be available on 29th or 30th September, while we move the servers, and this could run into the 1st October. In fact, they should be considered 'at risk' for the whole week. We don't anticipate any problems but there are a lot of interdependent tasks that all have to go right for us to meet this schedule. Please bear this in mind if you are planning any talks or demonstrations around this time.

I'm really sorry for the inconvenience this will cause. Unfortunately, it is unavoidable. We have planned for this to be as short an interruption as possible but do let me know (here or by email) if you anticipate any problems.

Andy

Re: Scheduled downtime for NBN Gateway - week beginning 29th September

Thanks for the info Andy.

Hope the planned move goes ok. Even migrating a single server here was enough to cause a cold sweat :)

Cheers.

Dave Cope,
Biodiversity Technology Officer,
Biodiversity Information Service for Powys and Brecon Beacons National Park.