Topic: error in lookup for grass snake

I'm not sure if this should be in the Species Dictionary section

If I produce a report including grass snake it reports the preferred name to be Natrix helvetica and the preferred TVK to be NHMSYS0021178937 - this DOES NOT agree with the UK Species Inventory which has Natrix natrix and NHMSYS0000080231 as the preferred options!

This is causing me a serious problem as Grass Snake is not appearing on our protected species layers because of this discrepancy!

Recorder Version 6.28.0.287
Dictionary Version 00000048

Regards
Craig

Craig Slawson
Staffordshire Ecological Record

Re: error in lookup for grass snake

Not sure what you are looking at when you say the UKSI has NHMSYS0000080231 as the TVK for grass snake. Looking at the UKSI tables (not at the Recorder 6 tables) the only TVK used for grass snake is NBNSYS0000167311 which points in Nameserver to NHMSYS0021178937 which is Natrix helvetica. In fact Nameserver points NHMSYS0000080231 to NHMSYS0021178937 which I think is now correct with the reclassification of the european grass snakes. This is what is reflected in Recorder. The designations should reflect thisand pick up anything which points NHMSYS0021178937. This appears to be the case at dictionary  0000004E, but may not have been at 00000048. 

I have asked Chris to take a look.

Mike Weideli

Hi

Just looked at the UKSi on the NHM web site and think I see what you are looking at. I think the site is not up to date and out of step with the latest UKSI provided for R6, NBN, Indicia etc.

Mike Weideli

Natrix helvetica is indeed the correct, recommended name for the Grass Snake in the UK. Can I just confirm which "UK Species Inventory" website you're looking at Craig? The "UK Species" website on the NHM webpage is 4-5 years out of date and it's incredibly frustrating because I can't get our techies to update it. If you need to check anything then have a look at my "UKSI sandbox" website ... it isn't "official" but it is my own website for testing the data, and it's bang up to date:

http://nbn-sd-dev.nhm.ac.uk/

Chris Raper, Manager of the UK Species Inventory, Angela Marmont Centre for UK Biodiversity,
Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London, SW7 5BD.  (tel: 020 7942 5894)
also Tachinid Recording Scheme (http://tachinidae.org.uk/)

Hi Chris,

Yes I am looking at the UKSI 'public' pages on the NMH website, hence the discrepancy, I will use your pages in future

Craig

Craig Slawson
Staffordshire Ecological Record

Thanks Craig, it prompts me to get back onto our programmers and see if they have got time to fix the bugs in the data refresh/import routines. I initially wrote the sandbox to teach myself how the UKSI data hangs together and to prototype new ways of displaying and managing the data, but it has developed into a really useful tool which I'm happy for colleagues to use. Just bear in mind that it is a sandbox and is prone to being scrubbed and set up again :)

Chris Raper, Manager of the UK Species Inventory, Angela Marmont Centre for UK Biodiversity,
Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London, SW7 5BD.  (tel: 020 7942 5894)
also Tachinid Recording Scheme (http://tachinidae.org.uk/)