1 (edited by peebix 24-02-2019 19:18:29)

Topic: biotope terminology?


I am a lay-person so please excuse lack of basic knowledge. The German plural 'Säume' indicates biotopes that are borders between two different types of vegetation e.g. one example would be an untouched border on an agricultural field (but the term is more general than that specific example). What would be the corresponding term in English, please?


Re: biotope terminology?

Perhaps 'Fringe' habitat, 'Transition' habitat' or 'Ecotone'?

Andy Foy
Systems Manager
Greenspace Information for Greater London (GiGL) CIC


Re: biotope terminology?

Ah thanks, I see that ecotone has its own wikipedia entry too. Perfect, thank you.


Re: biotope terminology?

I would say 'ecotone' is the technical (academic?) term, whereas 'transition' or 'transitional habitat' is much more widely understood. E.g. see http://jncc.defra.gov.uk/page-2277

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership