Topic: TVK Questions

Looking at an NBN spreadsheet that I downloaded for Daubenton's bats (MyDau), I notice a column named "Species ID (TVK)", which I think stands for "Taxon Version Key".

I can't see a TVK displayed anywhere in the Recorder 6 interface. Does Recorder 6 use TVKs and if so is there a way of displaying them in species records, and/or dictionaries?

Re: TVK Questions

Hi

Taxon_Version_Key is used in R6, but it is not that visible. Taxon_LIst_Item_Key is the primary key used in R6 and one Taxon_Version_Key can be used by many Taxon_List_Item_Keys. The TVK list in the spreadsheet should be the ones used on the JNCC Collation list. The JNCC Collation List is not a list of current designations, but has in it all species both current and past for which there are designations. You can find the TVK for a species in  Taxon Dictionary browser. Highlight a taxon and then use the information icon (i in a circle). This will return various information including the Taxon_Version_Key. Finding an entry for a Taxon_Version_Key is not that easy, because there can be multiple entries in R6 for one TVK.  You can try using  the goto key addin  which is in Tools (On most systems). If you put the TVK in here and select Taxon Version then it should  find one of the entries (at random).  However, there is a bug reported with this which can sometimes cause an unhandled error.

Mike Weideli