Topic: Can't backup (new user).

I installed Recorder 6 today, and following the "Recorder 6 Getting Started Guide", I have already run into a problem.

I got to "Backing Up" > Go to Tools - Database Tools - Back up database > In the dialogue box displayed type in a file name of your choice and click <ok>

There is no "dialogue box displayed". I get a message "Do you want to continue? Yes/No". If I click "Yes" I get another message "The backup operation canot complete because the backup device location can't be opened."

The backup device is my C:\ drive (It won't let me select a removable device), and the location is a folder in "My Documents".

Why won't it work?

This is the first time I have had anything to do with databases. SQL 2014 seems to have installed without errors, but I have no idea how to check if it is working, and don't know if I need to do something to start it.

Re: Can't backup (new user).

Two questions are you on 6.26 and did you install the SQL Server management tools.

The fact that a backup location is shown suggest that  SQL server can't write to the selected location. v 6.26 doesn't offer much of an option to change this so if you are on 6.26 then I suggest you upgrade to 6.28.  You should then be able to change the backup location to somewhere acceptable to SQL Server. If necessary create a new folder for it. 

If there was nothing shown as a backup location then you would need to use SQL Server management tools to set up a backup location.  This is covered in detail in R6 FAQ at  https://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=6123 . Optionally you can use the method detailed in this FAQ to change the backup location without upgrading to 6.28.

There is also a post in this topic about issues with windows 10 changing read only property which affects backups. This may be relevant.

Mike Weideli

Tried it first on 6.26, then upgraded to 6.28. Sme problem on both versions. Yes think the version of SQL 2014 that I installed included the tools. MikeWeideli, tried following your instructions and those in the link, though without really understanding what I was doing. Now Recorder 6 won't start. I get the error Recorder 6 error:

"EOleexception:[DBNETLIB][ConectionOpen (Conect0). SQL Server does not exist or access denied"

I think I might try uninstalling and reinstalling SQL, as I doubt there is any other way I will be able to undo what ever I have done.

Hi

If you only changed  the backup then this will not have caused the error you are now getting.  Check to see if the service is running as this is the most common cause of the the error message you are now receiving.   https://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=6403  Windows will often stop the service when it does a minor update and then not automatically start it again.  If this sorts the problem check to see where R6 now thinks the backup is and let me know.

Mike Weideli

Following your instructions, SQL is now running and Recorder 6 will start. I also managed to make a backup. I wanted to do it on drive D: (an SD card), but I am not able to select D: in Recorder 6. The drive drop-down list only contains C:, in spite of all my other applications being able to see D:!

Hi

I will take a look at why the other drives are not available. Pleased thought that you are OK for the moment.

Mike Weideli