Topic: Moving R6 to Windows 10

I am currently using R6 (6.28.0.287) on a Windows 7 system with Microsoft SQL 2005 Management Studio Express. I'm about to move to a new PC with Windows 10.
I have some concerns about up-dating to a new SQL server.
I think that I have to use SQL 2012 rather than a later version and that once I have installed R6 I can then attach my database (NBNData_data.mdf.) Is it really this simple and are there any potential problems that I should be aware of?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Christine

Re: Moving R6 to Windows 10

You are correct in that you can only jump two versions of SQL Server (and SQL Server Express) at a time ... hence you can only jump from 2005 to 2012.  But you can install mulitple versions of SQL Server Express on the same PC.  So you could attach your current database to SQL Server Express 2012 and then, once it has upgraded it (which should only take a few seconds/minutes), detach it from there and attach it to SQL Server Express 2016 (which is the latest officially supported version for R6).  You'll only need to install the 2016 version of SQL Server Management Studio because it will happily connect to older versions of the database.

It should really be as simple as that but if not, shout, and I'm sure someone will help.

Andy Foy
Systems Manager
Greenspace Information for Greater London (GiGL) CIC
www.gigl.org.uk

Thank you.
I'd rather not move the system, but my ageing PC can't take any more.

Christine

My attempts to move the NBn database from SQL Server 2005 to 2012 was unsuccessful. I have uninstalled SQl 2012 but I'm now unable to restore the database to the old server by either using a back-up file or re-attaching the database. In both cases I recive the following error message
Index was outside the bounds of the array [Microsoft.sqlServer.Express.Smo]

Guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you