Topic: Viewing and editing iRecord records on SEWBReCORD

As we work towards a LERC Wales implementation of the iRecord app, one of the features that I am keen to incorporate is allowing users that have an account already with SEWBReCORD to view and edit records that are entered via the app. My understanding from David Roy is that will be possible with a form that is being developed, I just wondered what the timescale for this is? Or has it already been done and I just need to update my pre-built forms to get it?

Dave

Dave Slade
Senior IT & Records Officer,
15 Talbot Road, Talbot Green, Pontyclun, CF72 8AD
www.sewbrec.org.uk, www.sewbrecord.org.uk

Re: Viewing and editing iRecord records on SEWBReCORD

Hi Dave,

I think that depends on whether your app will include what we are calling dynamic attributes. In the past we set up a survey with a set of attributes and then created a recording form which linked to that survey and a species list. That meant you had to record the same attributes for all the species in the list. With dynamic attributes the attributes can alter according to the species selected.

If you are not using dynamic attributes then you can just create an ordinary recording form using the existing pre-built forms and link it to the app survey to allow editing. That is how iRecord works currently.

If you are using dynamic attributes then this is a work in progress. There has been discussion in the last week about how to implement the warehouse side which has to be put in place before they can be used. See https://github.com/BiologicalRecordsCen … issues/222

Jim Bacon.

Thanks Jim, Karolis is working on the app, and I believe that it will be using dynamic attributes.

So it should already be possible to view records from other indicia surveys through SEWBReCORD? I just need to link the report to the right survey?

Dave Slade
Senior IT & Records Officer,
15 Talbot Road, Talbot Green, Pontyclun, CF72 8AD
www.sewbrec.org.uk, www.sewbrecord.org.uk

Hi

Sorry for slow response.

Your website, SEWBReCORD, may be configured with many surveys. Each survey may be configured with different parameters. You can create reports to view any of your records from any of your surveys. You can also edit any of these records by using the original form used to create the records.

You cannot access records from the surveys of another indicia website and no other website has access to your records unless you have entered in to a sharing agreement with them.

Hope that answers the question. Let me also elaborate a little on editing records.

The warehouse stores the url of the form that was used to create the record. Therefore you can have a list showing all records from across your many surveys and include a link against each record that will take you to the correct form to edit the record.

Now you can create a new survey to support a mobile app. The mobile app can submit records to your survey. You can view these records through your website too. If you create a recording form on your website with the same parameters that the app uses and you ensure the warehouse stored the url of this form against app records then you can edit app records on your website as easily as any others.

If the attributes that the app submits to are changing dynamically to match the species then you will need a similarly dynamic recording form to edit those records on the website. This is the work that is yet to be developed.

Jim Bacon