Topic: Information about use of mapping on networked machines

Hello,
Please would someone tell me where to find out how to deal with mapping when there are multiple users on a networked version of Recorder. I tried setting up named maps for each user but have now got into difficulties.
I have been getting the error message "An essential sheet cannot be found in the current map dataset" when trying to run a Wizard Report using an existing Polygon. I have managed to get rid of this issue by deleting all the polygons and starting again but would prefer not to have to do this again.
many thanks
Philippa

Dr Philippa Tomlinson
Biological Records Manager
Manx Biological Recording Partnership

Re: Information about use of mapping on networked machines

Hi

Are you running 6.28 ?  This version should have resolved the mapping issues and allows the Mapping to be saved so that they can be recovered if things go wrong. It would appear from work done on 6.28 that the most serious difficulties with mapping are being caused where  not all  workstations  are  using  the same object sheet folder for their map files.  This could come about either because of the manual setting up of mapping or where workstations were installed at different times using different version of  workstation install.  From V6.28 on R6 will keep a  check on this.

The attached document was written for 6.28, but the basic instructions for setting up mapping are the same for earlier versions.  It is fairly complex document, but for most purposes only section 1 is relevant.  The most important things is that  whatever version of R6 you are  on all the workstations use the same path for the Object sheet folder. If this isn't the case then error messages will continue to appear as various workstations are used to access mapping. Attempting any sort of reset when this happens will make the problem worse.

Post's attachments

Recorder6-MangementOfMapping System.docx 40.18 kb, 14 downloads since 2018-02-21 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Mike Weideli

Dear Mike,
Yes we are running 6.28. It is now working fine on my workstation and two other users have tested it on their workstations and it seems to work.
However I did do a 'Reset, Yes' before I realised that its not a good idea to do this. How can I tell if I have screwed things up? Shall I assume that it is all working OK now?
many thanks
Philippa

Dr Philippa Tomlinson
Biological Records Manager
Manx Biological Recording Partnership

Hi

If it is working then you should be Ok. Take a backup through Map Options/Admin. Select the Action 'Backup Map Data' and click on 'Go'. This will enable you to recover should  something  go wrong. If you have any further problems, don't do any sort of reset, but let me know. It is worth checking  (via Map Options/Admin) that the object sheet file path on all  the workstations is the same.

Mike Weideli