Topic: Changing the recorders name for a record

Just noting that this process seems to be rather cumbersome in R6 as the name is linked at both Survey Event and Sample levels.  I was wondering if there was scope to develop a batch update to replace a recorder that would work from the right-click of the survey event.

Say you have two B. Smiths in your database and you have allocated a record (or several) to the wrong one. The process seems to be
1) Add second B. Smith to survey event
2) Edit sample and click the checkbox next to the new B. Smith and uncheck the one for the wrong B. Smith
3) Re-edit the survey event to remove the wrong B. Smith

Would be great if you could right click a survey event and select a batch update to 'Swap recorder' or similar - a dialog box could ask which one you wanted to swap and let you select the one you wanted to swap it for, then make the appropriate changes to the survey event and sample records.

I know funding for development might be limited but if you don't put in a suggestion...

Mark Pollitt
SWSEIC (formerly DGERC)

Re: Changing the recorders name for a record

Should also have mentioned that it would be good to get the Recorder role to default to 'Recorder' rather than 'Surveyor' when editing...

Mark

Mark Pollitt
SWSEIC (formerly DGERC)

Hi

I have had a go at this. Let me know what you think and I can adapt it if required. It should be fairly restrictive in what it affects, but make sure you have a backup before trying.  Copy the xml file into the Batch Update folder of R6. It only runs as a Batch Update from a selected Survey Event. To run right click on the Event, select Batch Update then System Supplied/ Change Recorder/R6 Team Change Recorder. This will display the parameter boxes. To select the name to be changed enter text sufficient to uniquely identify the existing recorder. For example if there is only one name then enter the first charcters of the Surname. With say I.Smith and Jane.Smith where Jane Smith should  be changed enter J.Smith (j.sm would also work). If the criteria entered finds more than one match then nothing will happen (no error message either).  For the new name make the selection by clicking on the Mag Glass and selecting from the list of  Indivduals. Note that the Batch Update can't refresh the window so  click on another event and back again to see the change. Sample will automatically be updated. The Survey_Event_Recorder table Changed_By and Changed_date will be updated.   

Although this should  work, I think would be better if R6 could handle this. In edit mode there should be a change button available which would allow a replacement to be selected.

Post's attachments

R6Team_Change_Recorder.xml 3.34 kb, 2 downloads since 2018-02-13 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Mike Weideli

Thanks Mike. Will have a go with this later and let you know how I get on.

Mark

Mark Pollitt
SWSEIC (formerly DGERC)

5 (edited by charliebarnes 14-02-2018 10:21:05)

MikeWeideli wrote:

In edit mode there should be a change button available which would allow a replacement to be selected.

I would find it more useful if you could delete a survey event recorder with the deletion cascading down to the samples (with a warning). Likewise adding a survey event recorder - "do you want to add the survey event recorded to the samples?"

I think it would achieve the same as a change but only for less complicated uses of the survey event recorder (like ours!)?

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

I think I have previously enquired about something I think is similar to one of Charlie's points. Where when you move a sample from one event to another, but it won't let you because one of the recorders is not on the destination event, I would like to have the option to be able add the recorder(s) to the destination event automatically. Of course this may not be possible.

Gordon Barker
Biological Survey Data Manager
National Trust

As long as at least one Sample Recorder remains ticked there isn't any reason why a deletion should't  cascade down. Also if a new recorder is added and there are  samples then  there could  be an option to cascade this down.  These are changes in the way the existing processes (add and delete) work and could be in addition to being able to change a Recorder.

Moving might be slightly more complicated, but certainly possible.

For the moment I have added these to the change request, but may look at them in more detail if I have time.

Mike Weideli

The attached Batch Update, done at the request of an LRC, may be of general interest. It allows a name to be split, for example  where you Have 'I and J.Smith' as the recorder it  makes it easier to split this into two entries I.Smith and J.Smith. Works across whole database.

Post's attachments

R6Team_Split_Recorder.xml 4.12 kb, 2 downloads since 2018-02-14 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Mike Weideli

Change to improve the way Survey Events and Samples are cascaded down with changes and merges has been incorporated in R6 version 6.29. This has just been released as a beta test version. Subject to further testing it is hoped that it will be released  in a few months time. The relaese notes are available at https://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=7188

Mike Weideli