Topic: Sensitive data

A sensitive record for an Otter - that's fine. But why is the date of the record apparently obfuscated? Doesn't seem to make much sense to me...

https://records.nbnatlas.org/occurrence … 39efb5b513

It's another of those 'before year' dates so is that causing a problem?

Mark

Mark Pollitt
SWSEIC (formerly DGERC)

Re: Sensitive data

Hi Mark, thanks for raising this.

The NBN Atlas does restrict some date information for sensitive species, as part of our automatic screening process for sensitive species. The policy for how we deal with sensitive species is currently under review (and out for consultation to the Network), and we will address whether there is a need to restrict date information as well as location information. It'll be really useful to get your opinion on this. Do you feel that there is no need to restrict the date info?

More info on the draft policy can be found here: https://nbn.org.uk/news/nbn-sensitive-species-policy/ This draft doesn't currently address the topic of removal of date information, but it will be included in the next draft. If you have any specific details of this policy that you'd like to discuss, please email me directly (e.vogel@nbn.org.uk).

Cheers,
Ella

I'm struggling to see how removing or obfuscating the date on a record can have any bearing on the safeguarding of a sensitive species. If someone can think of an example where the withholding the date part of the record adds in some way to the conservation of that species or prevents it from harm then I'd be very interested to hear it. In every example that comes to my mind its the location information which is sensitive and the date is completely irrelevant. But there may be an example where that makes sense??

But for an old Otter record...really?

Mark Pollitt
SWSEIC (formerly DGERC)

i'm just surprised (or should that be disappointed) that the NBN don't automatically consider any fully protected Schedule 5 species to be "sensitive" - ie things like Great Crested Newts.