Topic: Species aggregates etc.

Not sure if this has been raised before (and this specific example may be sorted by changes following a recent Pip post) - records of species aggregates and presumably s.l. and s.s. need to display this in the usual place i.e. following the species name - for instance see the attached. It took a lot of digging on my part to work out this was a record of Pipistrellus pipistrellus agg (or rather the genus, but I won't get into that).

Although I can now see it says "unranked", I didn't when looking down the list and ignored that piece of information. It's also not obvious (again just "unranked") on the actual record page.

Some species appear to be fine e.g. Oulema, Polygonum aviculare agg. - I would suggest doing search for species aggregates that are lacking attributes (agg, s.l. s.s.) in their "display" name.

We have a similar problem in Recorder, where some attributes are part of the name and others are stored separately, so this may be wider species dictionary issue/one for Chris to comment on.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Re: Species aggregates etc.

Hi Charlie,
Thanks for commenting on this. I agree that we are not being consistent in the way species aggregates and s.l. and s.s. are being displayed, which means that they can be easily missed. I will see if I can see why we treat them differently in the Atlas, but I suspect that if the same problem exists in Recorder then it will have something to do with the way the names are stored in the UKSI.

I will talk to Chris about this and let you know.

Thanks, Sophie