1 (edited by charliebarnes 07-11-2017 15:00:26)

Topic: Big Bluebell Watch

The metadata for the 'Big Bluebell Watch' dataset (https://registry.nbnatlas.org/public/show/dr1573) says:

The date refers to the date that the record was entered, NOT the date it was seen.

I've checked the various definitions of 'Event date' and although it's not entirely clear, I think most people would assume that the date associated with a record is the date it was seen, not the date it was entered onto a database?

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Re: Big Bluebell Watch

Agreed Charlie - this is surely a ridiculous approach ?

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk
www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/

I have written to the data provider to ask for more information about the dates,

Thanks, Sophie

Just bumping this up again as it applies to 2018 dataset as well: https://registry.nbnatlas.org/public/show/dr1853

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer

Just wondering if there was any outcome with this one?

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer

Sorry, I forgot to post the reply:

The idea behind recording only the date that was entered was to not request more details from the recorder than necessary.

It is assumed that the date they entered the record is close to the date they saw it. As the time period that the app was live was limited, the records should reflect the presence of that species during the 2017 season. The dataset is not intended to contain accurate phenological records.

I have updated the metadata on the 2017 and 2018 datasets with the additional information.

Sorry for the delay, Sophie

Thanks Sophie.

sratcliffe wrote:

The dataset is not intended to contain accurate phenological records.

That being the case wouldn't it be better to blur the date to e.g. 2017 - otherwise the species phenological charts on the atlas could potentially be skewed?

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer